What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel line freeze potential ?

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
While sitting in the cockpit ( in the shop ), It occurred to me that the fuel lines under the selector valve are a second low spot in the fuel path, in addition to the tank sumps. I have never had a problem in my RV3, but while finishing my RV4, I recognize the potential for condensate trapped under the selector valve to freeze. Theoretically, water never leaves the sump, but alcohol laced fuel could condense suspended moisture downstream, right ?

I know there are thousands of RVs flying without problems. Why not ?

In gasoline, water easily separates and settles at low spots. Alcohol, tends to absorb or hold water in suspension (not a chemist). However, I don't think that it ever lets go it. So, no risk of picking up water in the tank and depositing it in your fuel valve. In the old days, isopropyl alc was used to soak up water from your gas tank and it would carry it all the way to the combustion chamber.

The main concern with the alcohol, is that the water is now moved around by the gas and create corrossion problems where it stops.

Larry

Thanks for the answer Larry

I had concluded (after posting the question) that alcohol suspends the water , reference being the alcohol measurement test in a test tube which we all understand. It is comforting to have my conclusion reinforced by such knowledgeable contributor.

Back