What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Injection Setups for RV-10

Bob Brown

Well Known Member
Okay, so I just MIGHT be starting a -10...

Who's doing what with Fuel Injection setups on RV-10s? Is anyone using AFP? I'd like to see some down and dirty photos and comments on linkages, what's cleanest, easiest, etc. Let's see what you got!

Airflow Performance.

Don Rivera is a no nonsense kinda guy that has been around fuel injection systems for a very long time. Give him a call and ask a few questions about FI, you'll see what I mean. Exceptional customer service with FAST e-mail response to dumb questions:rolleyes:, nozzle tuning advice (so all cyinders peak within .2 GPH), running LOP (for best economy), EGT & CHT info, etc. Check out the "Fuel Return System" they offer. You can open a valve from the cabin and cool down the entire fuel system during a "quick turn" for fuel only stops. It circulates fuel from the left tank though the entire fuel system (up to the "spider" on top of the engine) then returns the fuel to the right tank cooling the entire system to help eliminate vapor lock on hot starts. Very Cool!

http://www.airflowperformance.com/

No AD's here. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Airflow Performance

Most of our customers are using the Airflow system. In going through the new IO-540 engines we built since 08/2006, I only found two that used Precision Airmotive/Bendix systems. Neither of those were in an RV-10.

If you go with the vertical induction sump, Don has a system set up for that. He also makes an FM200 fuel system for the RV-10 with cold air induction as well as the FM300 system that can be used on the -10.

Last edited:
Thanks

for those!

I see you have the fwd facing sump offered by Barrett. Did you have to do anything different with cowl/exhaust/motor mount to install that setup? Let us know the details of that install if you can.

That looks like the Airflow Performance FM300, right?

What did you do for ignitions?

for those!

I see you have the fwd facing sump offered by Barrett. Did you have to do anything different with cowl/exhaust/motor mount to install that setup? Let us know the details of that install if you can.

That looks like the Airflow Performance FM300, right?

What did you do for ignitions?

Will James makes an RV-10 cowl that is specifically built for the BPE cold air sump. I installed it and his fathers plenum. http://deemsrv10.com/album/Sec FF2 Baffling and Plenum/index.html
At the time there was no provision for a filtered/alternate air system that fit the Oval induction ring on Will's cowl. (Will may be working on a solution by now) so I modified the cowl to accept a 3" circular induction and utilized Rod Bowers RAM/Filtered/Alternate air system. The installation of the plenum also required some modifications that you should see in the pictures.
The Exhaust is built by John Forsling, and is ceramic coated inside and outside. He had worked with Allan & Monty @ BPE and has tried out different configurations of tuned exhaust on the BPE dyno, to determine which yields the best power output. The one I have was specifically built and tested for the cold air IO-540.
There is a slight modification to the engine mount that requires a crossmember to be cut and replaced with one which is bent to allow for clearance of the sump. BPE has arranged w/ Van's to have the motormounts dropped shipped directly to them and they do the modification as a part of their engine build. (several pictures here) http://deemsrv10.com/album/Sec FF1 Engine Installation/slides/DSC04011.html
The fuel servo is an FM300, it's a gas guzzler if flown wide open but it also allows for increased HP if I want or need it.
I'm using Mags at the present time, When I spoke w/ BPE they maintain that when they run engines w/ EI on their dyno, they see a decrease in HP, and that wasn't an interest to me. This topic is highly debated, in the end I chose to go w/ mags and wait for more evidence and development of EI for 6 cly engines.
There are detailed write-up of the step by step installation of each of the components that can be found in the Construction Log http://deemsrv10.com/constructionlog.html
Click on the respective section of Van's plans in the log, that will open up another page where entries are organized by plan page/step, or if it's a mod they are organized chronologically. then click on the specific step/range of steps to see the details.
Hope this helps

AFP installation in RV-10 GREAT JOB

I've got a BPE built IO-540x w/ the APF FM300 here's links to a bunch of pics.

http://deemsrv10.com/album/Sec FF4 Fuel System/index.html
http://deemsrv10.com/album/Sec FF3 Control Cables/index.html
http://deemsrv10.com/album/Rod Bower Ram Air/index2.html

if these aren't enough, use the controls on the left side of the page to wander around, there are over 5100 photos in the Album

People, you all need to take a look at this installation. Deems, you?ve done a great job with the install. We wouldn?t have done it different if we did the work ourselves here.

NICE JOB!!

Don?t forget to go through the checklist in your Installation and Service Manual on page 35 before starting the engine

Don

People, you all need to take a look at this installation. Deems, you?ve done a great job with the install. We wouldn?t have done it different if we did the work ourselves here.

NICE JOB!!

Don?t forget to go through the checklist in your Installation and Service Manual on page 35 before starting the engine

Don

THANKS Don for the feedback, That's mighty high praise considering the source.

I just made a note in my 'To-do' list regarding the 1st engine start procedure.

Airflow Installation in RV-10

Don

You did get that didn't you Deems? If not, take the opportunity at OSH to scold your engine builder (Allen, not me :D.) Your project as a whole is fabulous. Another builder (to be unnamed, but his initials are RM) always says his motto is "What Would Deems Do?" ;)

Rhonda

I have the same engine setup as Deems, but used the Bendix fuel injection system. Mine was a used engine that I converted to a Barrett cold air induction. I refabricated my cowl myself to make the induction work. I just started the engine this week and can report that the Forsling exhaust sounds very cool.

Gary

I never was

able to figure out how to bring up the pictures of your cowl Gary. I guess we're close enough now I'll get to see it in person, OSH maybe? ;)

Darn,

I went with the standard Airflow vertical induction, I didn't have to engineer with the same brilliance that Deems, (good friend) did. Last year at a pre OSH BBQ I told Allen and Monty I'm just fine with my BPE IO-540 at 260 hp, (dyno at 263) as I walked away I heard them say..."Yeah, until he trys to keep up with Deems". :eek:If anyone has any questions about the horizontal cold air induction you need to get with Deems, He is WAY too modest. His work is fantastic and he has really put those systems together. All I can say is when I form up on Deems wing, I'll make the call...hey buddy, wanna pull back on the power about 2 percent?;)

Well Rick

We actually thought that you might try to pass off your engine as a Continental 550:p The engine didn't look right IMHO with the color choice. That is until we got it assembled. That thing is gorgeous. We're getting ready to color another one just like it. Do you mind?

We actually thought that you might try to pass off your engine as a Continental 550:p The engine didn't look right IMHO with the color choice. That is until we got it assembled. That thing is gorgeous. We're getting ready to color another one just like it. Do you mind?

Don't mind at all..my reasoning was if it costs a much as a Lexus...should be painted Lexus Gold!!:p

Gary, Deems sent me some pictures (thanks Deems) of your cowl when you were moving the airplane to the hanger. Nice cowl. I like the colors too. Will we see it at OSH?

Back