What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel injection conversion

dsteed

I’m sure that this topic has been discussed but I’m horrible at finding old posts. I have a 0360 A1D in my Vans RV6 and would like to convert it to injected with inverted oil. What all is involved in this conversation? Also, is this a major change in the eyes of the FAA? That is for all of your advice.

I’m sure that this topic has been discussed but I’m horrible at finding old posts. I have a 0360 A1D in my Vans RV6 and would like to convert it to injected with inverted oil. What all is involved in this conversation? Also, is this a major change in the eyes of the FAA? That is for all of your advice.
Changing to fuel injection in itself would not denote a major change. Adding inverted oil probably would because it would involve a significant change in CG.

Well, in good VAF fashion I'm gonna vouch against changing from carb to FI, unless you really use the only real benefit as in inverted flying... and even then, remember that an RVx ain't a dedicated aerobatic machine, but just an aerobatic capable ship. Asymmetrical airfoil and being made outta aluminum, a material of finite repetitive bending, it is just good enough for the occasional Sunday fun flying 😉

I ordered a new engine for my steed, and had a long look at converting my carbed A1A to either a mechanical FI, or EFI.
It would:
A/ be a costly exercise
B/ involve quite some work (not only the EDP, but also the new installation of a single or dual hi P pumps, etc, etc)
C/ be heavier
D/ offer only a minute increase in engine efficiency aka LOP FF, as the key is dual EI and not injection
E/ due to complexity be more susceptible to problems such as blocked injector, etc
F/ eventual hot start worries, at least until you get what your very engine is asking for
G/ permit inverted flying of short duration, or longer if equipped with an appropriate oil system

Looking at this list, my new engine will be again carb equipped, as the only real benefit, inverted flight, doesn't outweigh the cons. Yes, YMMW, but I hope this recap be of some help.

A data point. My neighbor went from carb to FI on his ~20 year old RV-6A. At the same cross-country cruise speed he had a ~1.0 GPH reduction in fuel flow, much cooler CHTs with a smooth engine at LOP. And he has more to explore as he tries different cruise settings.

The gain is much more about range than saving money on fuel.

Carl

A data point. My neighbor went from carb to FI on his ~20 year old RV-6A. At the same cross-country cruise speed he had a ~1.0 GPH reduction in fuel flow, much cooler CHTs with a smooth engine at LOP
Carl, with all due respect this ain't a data point. Too little data as to before/after, settings, etc. Details missing are any change in the ignition system, any change in the baffling, and so on, the list could be long...

Carl, with all due respect this ain't a data point. Too little data as to before/after, settings, etc. Details missing are any change in the ignition system, any change in the baffling, and so on, the list could be long...
No changes other than carb to FI, but on the same RV-6A (180 HP vertical draft), with the same pilot, flying as he has for years.

Take it at face value. I’m not going to argue about it.

Carl

Stock engines: 0 320, 0 360, 0 540, 60 years of experience. Long before electronic ignition etc. Carb to injection, at least one gallon/hr less fuel consumption on 4 cylinders, closer to 2 g/h on six cyl.
The Bendix pressure carb on the 0 360 is near identical to fuel injection for fuel economy. Those units are very expensive to support.

Back