What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Hose problem?

Steve Sampson

Well Known Member
The standard straight ended fuel hose that VANS advise , coming off the fuel pump, does not work for me. Have others had this problem? It bumps into the engine mount , hard, before it can turn away. I have put some pictures here. http://gikonfwf.blogspot.com/2007/09/fuel-hose-problem.html#links (If the pictures are not clear when you get there just double click them.)

I think I will have to get a hose made up with a 45deg swivel fitting on the end but would really welcome ideas before I go ahead.

Thanks,

Spruce

Hi Steve,
On my buddy's -4, we used a 90 degree steel fitting which also has a small tee for the fuel pressure line to the sending unit. Aircraft Spruce here sells them. Don't know if you have they're catalog though.

Regards,

One option...

Hi Steve,

Here is a pic of The Bandit's installation, obviously slightly different with my 0-320. It looks like you might be able to either use Pierre's technique or run a longer line and use a straight fitting. Cheers...

Rob Ray

Slightly off topic, but what is The Bandit that is being referred to quite often? Is it a -4, some particular version of the -4, or a particular aircraft (presumably a -4).

The standard straight ended fuel hose that VANS advise , coming off the fuel pump, does not work for me. Have others had this problem? It bumps into the engine mount , hard, before it can turn away. I have put some pictures here. http://gikonfwf.blogspot.com/2007/09/fuel-hose-problem.html#links (If the pictures are not clear when you get there just double click them.)

I think I will have to get a hose made up with a 45deg swivel fitting on the end but would really welcome ideas before I go ahead.

Thanks,

I'm in the same place as you right now. One setup that would fit quite nicely is to get a hose with a 90 degree at the pump end and a straight at the carb end. Then, point the fitting out of the pump pretty much straight forward. The hose will mate up nicely and travel down and forward towards the carb. I mocked this up this morning and it looks fine. The only problem is the cost of the hose! The 90 degree hose end is $59 :eek:. Another option is to use straight hose ends and get this:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/aeroquipfitting.php

By the way, are you running a fuel flow sensor and if so, where did you put it?

Steve/Pierre, $59 .v. $4.95! I think I can work that one out! Thanks, I had been wondering if such a fitting existed. I think I may well go that route. I hate to put extra bits (weight) in, but if it will work with the hose I have, I may just compromise on this occasion.

I havnt been out to my workshop since I read your mail - its cold and dark here - but I cant think why it would not work.

I have done nothing wrt instrumentation yet, but I plan on an AFS3400 unless something changes. This comes I believe (at a price) with a 'red cube' flow sensor or some similar name. I have not yet worked out the details, but it will probably end up in the rear right upper corner of what VANS think of as the battery compartement and I think of as the front baggage (CofG adjust) compartement.

I have done something slightly unusual. A long time ago I had a conversation with Kruger at VANS. He pointed out that the fuel drains that matter are the ones in the wing roots for water and dirt. So then I started thinking about just a filter. (He set me off on that track also.) Then I found the Andair gascolator was a pretty good filter so I have ended up with a gascolator which I think of as a filter and dont plan on draining before every flight. The result is that it is in the area beside the stick. If I do decide later that I do want an external drain on it I can just add a flexible hose underneath, but I cant see why I would. Once the gascolator moved there it makes for a very easy long straight run up to the firewall with the flow sensor in it.

The other advantage of moving the gascolator is less places forward of the firewall to cook Avgas/Mogas and get vapour problems.

There is a picture here. http://gikonfuse.blogspot.com/2007/03/fuel-valve-gascolator-and-pipework.html#links

Thanks for the help,

Last edited:
Back