What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel flow test

Ron B.

Well Known Member
In Canada we must preform a fuel flow. Does everyone preform this test? Would this test be done with the bost pump on, otherwise I cannot see meeting the requirements. The valve is about the same height as top of the tank and the engine driven pump is even higher.
Thanks Ron

Fuel Flow Test

Ron,
sounds like you are getting close to flying that machine.
Here is what I did for my RV-8 and will do the same for the RV-10.
Create a nose high and tail low attitude to simulate Climb.
Disconnect the fuel hose at the carb or Fuel controler and direct it into a gallon measure. Turn the boost pump on and time the fuel flow.
2 minutes for example times 30 to get gallons per hour or longer for a more accurate measure.
Your boost pump should deliver 1.5 times the maximum required for full power take off. Chances are your pump will deliver much more than that.
You cannot check your engine driven fuel pump flow.
Don't burn the plane with all that fuel, good luck.

Your boost pump should deliver 1.5 times the maximum required for full power take off. Chances are your pump will deliver much more than that.
You cannot check your engine driven fuel pump flow.
Don't burn the plane with all that fuel, good luck.

If using FAR 23 as the guide for flow requirements, a system using pumps only requires 1.25 times (125%) the maximum required fuel flow. A gravity feed system requires 150%

Back