What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel flow sender failure

TroyBranch

Well Known Member
Friend
Anybody have their red cube fuel flow sender stop working? I got about 480 hrs on it and it crapped out coming out of San Diego today. Red zero. Great miles per gallon though! Lol.

Will it be likely that I will just have to replace the whole thing?

A couple of weeks ago, I got in the tunnel to check the sender connections. Visibly all looked fine. It was about 7pm and I was not sure what I should test and what readings I should have of what I tested. I shot a text of to Rob at AFS just for fun. Within minutes he was telling what to check and readings I should have. How can you beat that. :D Can't wait to upgrade to the new AFS Efis, because it is so darn cool.:)

We confirmed it needed replacing.

A quick call to the team in the morning and it was in the mail that day. I got it installed yesterday and I will no longer have such good economy on my next flights.:rolleyes: It is amazing how much you miss one little item when you do not have it though.

I wonder if I can send this back for repair? I will have to call the manufacturer. Then I will have a second flow sender for the next project.

I'd still like to see the EFIS manufacturers program the readout in $$/hr, leaning would be so much more intuitive :D

Last time mine acted up it was a bad connection in the factory crimped on connector. I would check that. Those are some small wires and they are also prone to break right at the connector unless one takes steps to support them.

They claim these things should last for a really long time. I would look for connection issues first and check to see that the impeller does not have any debris stopping it from turning.

It is also my understanding that they don't like it when oil runs down the wires and into the cube so I would check for that as well.

Red Cube Issues

I called Electronics International to inquire about unstable fuel flow readings - FF indication would randomly vary +/- 1 to 2 gallons with no predictable frequency. Was told to use long nose pliers and basically crimp the h*ll out of the 3 spade connectors. Did so and on two test flights - rock solid, non variable fuel flow indication.

Now they supply a totally different connector. It uses an Alan key screw in a sleeve that basically cold welds the wires. It seems like a good idea. We will see over time. I will check the wires crimps. If that is the problem, I now have a flow meter for the new project.

New project?
Do tell!

Sorry not an RV. Might build another 10 after this project though. Only because I love building and can't think of a better airplane to suite our family needs. Time will tell.

I just checked the wire end that goes to the Efis (I just cut the wire to remove the sender) to the crimp connector on the sender with the meter and it was fine. Trouble is you cannot test the wire to wire. Actually I will just puncture the wire on the sender and test. Stand by.:rolleyes:

Update: Wire to wire checks ok. Sure looks like a bad sender to me. I will send it away I guess.

Oh yah,the new project is a Just Aircraft SuperSTOL with a 912IS. So many places I wish I could land when I fly over in the ten, now I will be able to. Super cheap to fly, and just for local fun with the odd trip to Idaho and BC.

Last edited:
Troy, I like how you think! I too wish i could land a rough strip with a vista, pitch a tent, crack a beer, and enjoy the view without the hassles of an FBO, fees, rental car and a hotel. :D

I'd still like to see the EFIS manufacturers program the readout in $$/hr, leaning would be so much more intuitive :D

Walt, that's the best idea I've heard for an EFIS in a long time. When you add your fuel to the totalizer just put in the cost per gallon and you'll really want to run LOP..

Back