What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel flow indicator

Abbygirl1

Well Known Member
Has anyone installed the fuel flow system by Flight Data Systems? It is sold by them and ACS. Includes the "red cube" flow transducer. If you have, where is the best place to mount the transducer on an o-320 RV6A?

Good question. I've got one installed on my 6A but I don't like the location and going to relocate it when I remake the fuel lines. Currently the transducer is about 12" downstream from the tank selector valve, but due to poorly made fuel lines, it's 4" to 6" in front of the stick on the floor and looks like it could almost be stepped on. I'm curious about alternate mounting locations as well.

As I recall, the "Red Cube people" recommend placing it as close to the spider as possible. For most of us, that means between the servo and the spider. (As I write that, I realize it might be different for carbed engines)

Absolutely love it

I have had one on my Super Six for about 4 years and 500 hours and it has been flawless. Great personal support from Chuck the company owner. I love the way it interfaces with my Garmin 296.

Steve

I put it on the firewall between the mech pump and the carb. Blue fitting on outlet is a 'fuel gauge' fitting sold by racing shops.

red_cube2.jpg

1 is hose from fuel filter (on firewall under camera) to mechanical fuel pump
2 is from fuel pump to red cube
3 is from red cube to carb
4 is to the fuel pressure sender, and uses a special fitting with a -4 female on the side. The thinking here is that if the red cube were to become blocked tapping the fuel pressure here will show that.
Fuel pressure tapping after the fuel pump does not show pressure at carb inlet with the red cube in the way.
Hose at the top of the picture is an oil hose. All brown hoses are teflon with integral firesleeve.
See also http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=104090

Pete

I've inspected a lot of RVs. I've seen the transducer mounted almost anywhere you can imagine. They all seem to work fine.
Mine is between the selector valve and the boost pump. It's been working fine there for almost 21 years.

I recently added a RedCube for the EIS 4000 on my newly purchased 6A. I suspended it in-line between the engine driven fuel pump and carb. Works fine with stable readings with no mechanical mounting except the hoses.

Last edited:
I installed the FC-10 system with red cube on my O-320 powered RV-6 very recently. Like penguin, I installed the transducer after the mechanical fuel pump. I didn't take any pictures but every install is going to be a bit different anyway.

It's a great little system and is very accurate. I've probably fueled the airplane 4 or 5 times now since the install, and after the 2nd or 3rd fill and adjust cycle it's essentially been dead on, like within 0.1 gallons at top off. Since my fuel gages are next to useless this system has added greatly to the utility of the airplane.

I have an FC-10 in my RV6 and it works perfectly, and it is very accurate. I have an o-320 and mounted the red cube between the facet aux pump and the gascolator.

Back