What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Float Sticking

Wesael

Well Known Member
The fuel float evidently is sticking on the right tank on the RV-10.

When I use fuel from this tank the level does not come down on the guage till I land or hit turbulence to jar it loose. Happens with every time I fill it up.

Has anyone had this happen before? These are quickbuild tanks with the factory sending units.

Joel

Weasel,

I have the same situation with one of my RV-8 tanks. A sticky float arm is a PIA. There are some good threads in the archives that discuss this.

When you install the float arm to the sending unit the plans call for a 90 degree bend at the attach point. The leg on that bend could be a tad long and introducing just enough friction to keep the float from moving the arm.

Enter a period of watchful waiting and if the problem persists, order a new unit from Vans, along with the requisite amount of proseal and remove and replace. FYI - on the -8 there is a part number for the right hand sender unit and a different one for the left. Most likely the same for the -10.

Even when the floats are working, they are not all that useful. I rely mostly on the fuel flow rate and the wooden dowel I use to stick the tanks.

Mike

Last edited:
Even when the floats are working, they are not all that useful. I rely mostly on the fuel flow rate and the wooden dowel I use to stick the tanks.

There was an interesting article in Sport Aviation this month about a scenario where inoperative fuel gauges was one key component in the chain that caused a fatality of a veteran pilot. The article suggested that if the fuel tanks were not properly calibrated and/or you had a loss of fuel in flight this could lead to a serious problem. Just food for thought :)

Back