What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel filter cleaning

It would seem you have the filter in the tunnel----Correct?

It is a major PITA to get to the filter from the top, but there are folks who installed side access panels in the tunnel. Great modification.

https://www.airward.com/products/rv...rews-rv-10-tunnel-access-w-countersunk-screws

https://ourv10.com/2021/03/21/tunnel-access-panel/

I also suggest you split the top cover into two parts front/aft just behind the fuel selector to make access to the fuel filter and the flap actuator a lot easier.

It would seem you have the filter in the tunnel----Correct?

It is a major PITA to get to the filter from the top, but there are folks who installed side access panels in the tunnel. Great modification.

https://www.airward.com/products/rv...rews-rv-10-tunnel-access-w-countersunk-screws

https://ourv10.com/2021/03/21/tunnel-access-panel/

I also suggest you split the top cover into two parts front/aft just behind the fuel selector to make access to the fuel filter and the flap actuator a lot easier.

I mounted my filter in the normal spot, deep in the tunnel, with difficult access. It occurs to me that the hose from the firewall to the engine driven fuel pump is rather long and the fuel filter could be mounted in line, somewhere forward of the firewall, allowing much easier access. Maybe one could even mount the filter to the fitting coming out of the firewall, with a hose to the fuel pump. This would put unfiltered fuel through the fuel flow meter and fuel pump, but there are still the screens in the tanks to stop big chunks.

Assuming everything is properly supported, would this work? Or any I missing something magical about the order of fuel switch, filter, pump, totalizer? Would there be a risk of plugging the pump or fuel flow meter with debris too small for the tank screens?

I mounted my filter in the normal spot, deep in the tunnel, with difficult access. It occurs to me that the hose from the firewall to the engine driven fuel pump is rather long and the fuel filter could be mounted in line, somewhere forward of the firewall, allowing much easier access. Maybe one could even mount the filter to the fitting coming out of the firewall, with a hose to the fuel pump. This would put unfiltered fuel through the fuel flow meter and fuel pump, but there are still the screens in the tanks to stop big chunks.

Assuming everything is properly supported, would this work? Or any I missing something magical about the order of fuel switch, filter, pump, totalizer? Would there be a risk of plugging the pump or fuel flow meter with debris too small for the tank screens?
I don't believe it is wise to have unfiltered fuel to go thru pump, especially thru the fuel meter (Red Cube)

Airflow recomments (in red letters) to install the filter on the cool side of the firewall - check paragraph 3.4 on the instruction manual.

I need to clean the filter on my RV10 too so we're on the same boat...

I do have airflow performance

Thanks for link to manual. I’m going to assemble things needed to remove, clean, extra o rings etc.

I’m expecting fuel in the line. I’m not wanting to spill. I was considering running the engine and then turning fuel selector off so the engine uses the fuel up in the line. Bad idea?

Thanks for link to manual. I’m going to assemble things needed to remove, clean, extra o rings etc.

I’m expecting fuel in the line. I’m not wanting to spill. I was considering running the engine and then turning fuel selector off so the engine uses the fuel up in the line. Bad idea?

Good idea. I did it every condition inspection when I planned to inspect/clean the fuel filter.

Sooo, where is your fuel filter?

You said it was an Airflow Performance filter.
As to the Airflow Performance filter, it is a very nicely engineered piece of fuel system accessory. It is very unlikely that you will need any new parts after opening the filter. Having some o rings handy is a good idea but unlikely you'll need new ones.
As to removing and replacing your filter without spilling... let's just hope the filter it is not located, or worse, buried in the tunnel but it probably is?
I have a couple of caps ready for the filter and 2 caps for the fuel lines.
Stuff a diaper under the installation and proceed with the disconnect.
If everything is ready, you'll spill a tiny bit of fuel in the process and the diapers will absorb it.
There are many other ways to deal with this but trying to empty the fuel lines or tank is probably the least effective way to avoid a tiny fuel spill.
My AFP filters are located under the seats, easily accessible and because there are 2 of them, the cleaning interval can be alternating from one inspection to the next.

After dealing with this issue in my RV7 for a decade without ever servicing it spill free I opted for the Aerolab filters on my RV10.
Filter removal/inspection/replacement takes around 60 seconds.
I know it dosent help anyone with an internal filter setup, but thought I’d plug it anyway. One of those little things that makes a big difference every annual.

Has anyone ever found any significant contamination in the Airflow filter? I have never found ANY contaminants in 6 years. I’m thinking to check only every 2-3 years given the hassle involved.

Has anyone ever found any significant contamination in the Airflow filter? I have never found ANY contaminants in 6 years. I’m thinking to check only every 2-3 years given the hassle involved.

I haven't found anything significant but I also flushed my tanks with the drains removed. It's possible to get some trash in the tanks when fueling but you have (or should have) filters at the wing roots. Having said that I'm a coward and pull the filter every other CI.

-Marc

Back