What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fuel drain insertion

david.perl

Well Known Member
Just finished pressure testing the first tank and no leaks - yipeee!!

when inserting the fuel drain valve should i use any PTFE tape or joining compound?

Teflon paste might work, but many <most?> people use fuel lube.

It is bad practice to use any sort of tape on your fuel or oil system connections. Eventually, you'll get it wrong and fragments of tape will get into your fuel or oil system, creating the potential for clogs.

"EZ-Turn" Fuel Lube. Never had a leak through the threads. O-rings are another story as others have mentioned.

Fuel Lube

What cuts fuel lube? If I insert the drains now with fuel lube for a final pressure test, I want to wipe any excess for good paint adhesion.

What cuts fuel lube? If I insert the drains now with fuel lube for a final pressure test, I want to wipe any excess for good paint adhesion.

Pretty much most any solvent. It is a bit sticky but you can wipe most of it off with a clean rag and a bit of elbow grease then use whatever solvent you have at hand for your prep. You don't need to over due the amount of lube. I have the same tube for years and it is still mostly full. Just a little dab goes a long way.

New Formulation

I bought a new can of fuel lube at Oshkosh. I hear the formulation has changed in recent years. Anyone noticed any difference between the new lube and the old stuff?

Back