What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Cap Diameter

J Twilbeck

Well Known Member
My wings are getting painted and I need to know the diameter of the standard Vans stock fuel cap opening. Where the skin ends. Can anyone help?

I need to have a fuel placard made and I was going to make it surround the opening. I was thinking of just a vinyl sticker.

14 CFR 23.1557 States that the requirement have the word AVGAS and the minimum octane. I didn't see any of the circular placards for sale have the word AVGAS.

Thanks in advance.

Another option is to have the caps themselves engraved with the required info. I had my N#, 30 Gal US and 91 OCT MIN put on mine just to cover all of the bases.

Having the info (ie placard) displayed is still required. Engraving the caps is a placard in this case.

Something like this (it's not mine but mine are similar):

6c5d584e60ef.jpg

This is who did mine: http://www.aircraftspecialty.com/engraving.html

Last edited:
Having the info (ie placard) displayed is still required. Engraving the caps is a placard in this case.

That's what I was thinking. The engraved caps would be great but I don't have the wings back yet and when I do I don't want to wait on an engraver to finish the plane. I'm getting really close to being done. Plus I like the idea of the vinyl sticker to help protect around the fuel cap from fueling abuse.

2.25"

Greetings from a night at the airplane factory, where we've literally just finished the fuel tanks... that's proseal under my fingernail there :)

We didn't use the stock UD-3 caps so I have them sitting right here. The cap is 2.25" in diameter, and if I remember correctly, the skin opening was extremely tight around it.

Hope that helps!

IMG_1329.JPG

Back