What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Cap Chains

Radioflyer

Well Known Member
I'm wondering what the consensus is with restraining fuel caps so that they don't fall off the wing while re-fueling or flying away during flight for whatever imperfect world reason. In other experimentals, I've seen chains on gas caps with a "T" shaped thingy at the end that fits inside the fuel port. However, in several RV planes I've seen, this doesn't seem to be the practice.

I personally would rather loose a cap than have it banging around on the top of my wing when I take off!
Fortunately, all RV’s are low wing and you can readily see the caps (not sure about the 10) and it is one of my preflight checks from the cockpit at the hold line.

I personally would rather loose a cap than have it banging around on the top of my wing when I take off!
Fortunately, all RV’s are low wing and you can readily see the caps (not sure about the 10) and it is one of my preflight checks from the cockpit at the hold line.

100% on rather losing a cap as opposed to damaging the top skin.

Gas caps and other post-fueling checks

Agreed! Doesn't EVERYONE do a post-fueling walk-around including pushing on the fuel cap release and tapping the sumps for water? Or anything else that might have changed in your flight to the refueling spot? It has been my routine since I started flying, regardless of what airplane I am flying. What if I just came from my hangar to the fuel pumps? Yep. Still. Ask my (airline-type) friend about leaving his Cub fuel cap on the top of the pump going to OSH one year.....:eek:

I can't see any advantage to chaining the cap to the plane. If you are to short to see the caps from the pilots position you are sitting to low in the seat.
I never take off without looking out of the cockpit anyway.
I have left a cap out once but seen it as I sat down.
Wow!!!!!!!!! was I ever surprised to see it just sitting there the one time it happened.
Heck, I even look out of the cockpit when I'm flying to see if they are still there and to see where I am going.
My luck varies Fixit

I suspect Cessna guys want them because they've always been that way and Vans guys don't want them for the same reason.

If there was a handy way to tether them I'd probably do it, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over them not being chained on.

HMMM. I guess different airplane types have different practices. My pusher airplane friends diligently use retention on their caps because a cap going through a propeller can be catastrophic. It seems possible for any cap to let go in flight due to a faulty mechanism, or being set too loose, or just forgetting to snap it fully shut.

Yeah, the caps can easily be seen "in place" from the cockpit. I just find that my gas caps can easily roll or be blown off the wing while refueling and I don't want to put the smelly thing in my pockets.

Cap reminder

I just keep the cap in my hand while re-fueling. Put it back on as soon I remove the nozzle.

I haven't flown my 7A yet, but I have habits on auto caps so I can't loose one. If there's no retainer, I hold it as mentioned above. Oil cap is a biggie. I always put it where the hood latch is located. If I forget, the hood won't close. The point is, find something that works and use it every time.
Then tell us what it is so we can all benefit from the knowledge!

Last edited:
Towel or rag during fueling

I was in the fueling business for eighteen years. Just lay a nice towel on the wing and place the cap on it. You can then use both hands on the fuel nozzle. If it's windy then do as you need. The towel then comes in handy in case of a spill on your paint.

Also, carry a pair of leather gloves in your plane. That way you won't rip your hands open on the grounding cable. And your hands will stay clean. A lot of those hoses are quite dirty.

I was thinking the same about a towel...also makes it even more obvious at any glance angle

that said, I think I would choose the chain over not. (& yes, most of my time is Cessna)

Maybe my primary logic is if it does fall off the wing, there a real chance it could be damaged.... and if you don't happen to have a spare, flight over. You are grounded at whatever podunk airport you happen to be...and if it's rainy weather no way to for sure seal the tank while you wait for a replacement to be found. Maybe that's all based on assumptions that are "all wet".... but seems like a plausible outcome even if very unlikely.

I was thinking the same about a towel...also makes it even more obvious at any glance angle

that said, I think I would choose the chain over not. (& yes, most of my time is Cessna)

Maybe my primary logic is if it does fall off the wing, there a real chance it could be damaged.... and if you don't happen to have a spare, flight over. You are grounded at whatever podunk airport you happen to be...and if it's rainy weather no way to for sure seal the tank while you wait for a replacement to be found. Maybe that's all based on assumptions that are "all wet".... but seems like a plausible outcome even if very unlikely.

Put a roll of "200mph tape" in your flight kit, it will seal the fuel tank enough to get home. It is also good for taping up the caps when the RV will be left on the ramp during heavy rain.

No chains for me, have managed to not lose or damage a cap during 24 years in the RV-6.

^^^Having sliced open my palm once, I treat that cable like it’s a razor blade.

I never touch the cable! I hold the clamp and walk it in or out. If it’s a hand crank version, I either use the clamp or a light step on the cable to keep tension while I reel it in.. never had to touch the cable in 23+ years.. same with the fueling hose.. that thing is too dirty! I hold the nozzle and walk it in.. no touching the hose either!

Would you really want a chain to retain the cap and beat the daylights out of your upper wing skin if the cap came off in flight? Ouch! At least on a Cessna, you won’t really see the damage.. I would rather lose the cap than have it beat up the wing.. as for it rolling off, if you perch it upside down on the latch, it’ll stay put unless it’s really windy.. and then I just place it on the ground or in my pocket..

Back