What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fuel and brake lines

ge9a

Well Known Member
I'd like to know how many people have opted for SS braided fuel and brake lines instead of the 1/4" and 3/8" alum tube. Is this a better way to go? It sure seems like it would be easier and faster, and more serviceable after the plane is fully assembled, but more expensive and obviously a little heavier.

Is the Aeroquip hose tool and fittings from Van's a good way to go for the SS braided option, if I choose to go that way?

Also, is the Andair fuel valve really worth the extra money? If it is worth the $$, which valve is the best fit for a -9A (90 deg. or 180 deg.)?

Yes, lots of questions. That's because I've been struggling with the alum tube for too long! I've looked at various web sites to see what others have done, but I still don't like my workmanship on the tubing. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I've gotten more and more confident with my tube making. I can now make the correct tube on the second try instead of the 3rd or 4th. ;) IMHO, it's still easier than flex line.

If you use the do-it-yourself flex line tools, you should still get the hose pressure tested. Another option is to get the flex lines made at a racing shop. Searching here on the site should find a few recommendations.

Again IMHO, the Andair fuel valve is not needed unless you're plumbing a return line to the source tank. The current generation of Van's fuel selectors have not had any problems that I've read. If you don't like the "faucet" handle, get the nice replacement handle that Cleaveland tools is now selling for $47. I checked it out at Arlington and bought it on the spot. It's expensive, but looks terrific. And Bill's Custom Engraving will engrave the plate that goes under the handle for $34. Even with both of those on top of the $38 for the brass valve, you'll still be cheaper than the $200-300 Andair.

If you do go with the Andair, look for the FS20-7. It's easier to plumb than the other Andair models.

Dave

I went with SS lines on the pedals, and solid lines from firewall back. I used Earl's Speedflex hose w/ appropriate (SpeedSeal) fittings. It was easy. Started off by making one hose, and had it pressure tested to 2,000 psi -- it held. So I made the remainder. I think the hose/fittings I used were cheaper than Aeroquip that Van's sells. I got mine at anplumbings.com -- very happy with this vendor!

Maybe it's just me, but that worked better than having someone else make 'em for me -- I had to shorten one or two just a little bit and with these reusable fittings, it was trivial. I guess it was just me being a dufus and not being able to get the length right from the start.

Andair fuel valve, as mentioned, is not "needed," but it's the best upgrade I did on the airframe :) I wouldn't *want* it any other way. 20x7 would be best choice (Van's sells 'em).

PS. Tubing takes time, but it's not that bad... you will probably need extra for "practice" :)

Back