What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Product - Tailwheel - *Lightest on the Market w/ 10yr WARRANTY - Intro Price: $149.99

dmat

Well Known Member
Advertiser
All,

I wanted to offer the VAF community the first look at my newest product being offered by Fairings-Etc (formerly Cranford Aviation).

I would like to introduce the "Gold Standard" Tailwheel.

Light weight: A completely new design reducing weight to only 22.4oz (1.4lb) making it the lightest tailwheel in it's class.

Advanced Technology: Incorporating 4x sealed bearings with a center spacer and the latest advancements in Extruded Aluminum, increasing durability and strength.

Customizable: Match your tailwheel with your personality/paint scheme. Custom anodized Colors available (Red - Blue - Orange - Black - Silver - Green) at an additional charge
*Note: Gold anodizing is standard*

Note: custom colors are in que and will be ready in about a 1-1.5mo.

Designed and Made in the USA!

Warranty: 2000 take-off & landing cycle/ 10yr money back guarantee, whichever one comes first.
(guarantee covers the failure of materials or workmanship, including defects, discovered through normal wear)

My current production run is setup for 3/8" axle and all anodized Gold. 1/2”&5/8” is in development

Introductory Price: $149.99 shipped (use coupon code “freeship”) for the gold ones in stock and can be purchased at Fairings-Etc/CranfordAviation

Attachments

• IMG_6724.jpeg
    IMG_6724.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 302
  • IMG_6711.jpeg
    IMG_6711.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 308
Last edited:
Looks nice, but pricey. What is the rubber material and its durometer?

How long before the Red anodized version is available? I see on the website that colors other than Gold are $10 more.

Last edited:
The rubber is a 75A polyurethane specifically designed for tuff surfaces and high rebound.

Red will be available once I have an understanding of the market. I currently have 18x of the gold in stock and ready to ship (Gold is the standard color). I can have another production run completed within 6 weeks but would want to know colors before I start anodizing a bunch of colors.

Last edited:
The rubber is a 75A polyurethane specifically designed for tuff surfaces and high rebound.

Red will be available once I have an understanding of the market. I currently have 18x of the gold in stock and ready to ship (Gold is the standard color). I can have another production run completed within 6 weeks but would want to know colors before I start anodizing a bunch of colors.
Appreciate the info. Thx!

Any info you can share regarding beta testing done and / or actual time in service at this point? (specifically in the context of tire wear )

I have been testing new "Gold Standard" wheel for Daniel for the past 2-3 weeks on my RV-4, although his prototypes are bare aluminum and not anodized gold. This tailwheel has approximately 12 hours on it now, probably 35 landings, lots of use on grass, and one landing that included a 1.5 mile taxi at the Memphis International Airport.

Full disclosure, I did not go full test pilot/engineer mode, which I hope isn't a disservice to you Daniel. I did not measure the original diameter and measure the tire wear per hour or anything like that. But, you can still see the mold line down the middle of the tire after all of the use on asphalt in the last 12 hours.

The new wheel is a Shore 75A compared to 65A that some other companies are using. The difference can be felt and heard when taxing on concrete or asphalt but increases the wear life of the rubber.

There are 4 bearings, 2 double stacked on each side of the hub with a spacer bushing in the middle. I have noticed zero play in the bearings since install. I did find the width of the hub was narrower than the JD Air wheel. The addition of 2 washers to either side of the Gold Standard's wheel hub fixed this.

So far, so good.

Attachments

• IMG_5333.jpg
    IMG_5333.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_5334.jpg
    IMG_5334.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 100
  • IMG_5335.jpg
    IMG_5335.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 99
Last edited:
[...] this wheel has a slightly higher durometer than the JD Air. The difference can be felt and heard when taxing on concrete or asphalt. The new wheel is a Shore 75A compared to 65A that some other companies are using.
I think that means this is harder right? For us dumb guys can you explain durometer etc.? One thing several have commented on regarding the FlyBoy wheel which is 75 durometer (and I have noticed personally) is the increased noise/taxiway bumping compared with Van's standard tailwheel. What advantage is there for it to be harder still, rather than softer (other than perhaps longevity)?

It’s a hardness scale. The higher the number the harder it gets. 75A = Longevity on hard surfaces (poorly kept runways were taken into consideration) and a good bounce back.

And to set everyone's mind at ease regarding durability/longevity, I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is...

I will offer a 2000 take-off& landing cycle/ 10yr money back guarantee, whichever one comes first. (guarantee covers the failure of materials or workmanship, including defects, discovered through normal wear)

One thing several have commented on regarding the FlyBoy wheel which is 75 durometer (and I have noticed personally) is the increased noise/taxiway bumping compared with Van's standard tailwheel. What advantage is there for it to be harder still, rather than softer (other than perhaps longevity)?
FWIW, FlyBoy lists the DJM Manufacturing's Lightweight TW tire as 65 durometer. Don't know if the difference between 65 and 75 is noticeable.

Screenshot 2024-06-20 at 5.01.04 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Commenting to just amend my comments about JD Air's Tailwheel Durometer. I've since learned that it is a 75A durometer and not a 65A. My previous post has been edited to reflect that.

FWIW, FlyBoy lists the DJM Manufacturing's Lightweight TW tire as 65 durometer. Don't know if the difference between 65 and 75 is noticeable.

I stand corrected!

It's my B-day and the 1yr Anniversary of the start of Cranford Aviation/ Fairings-etc. So I will sweeten the pot a bit. Price will include shipping (Use coupon code "freeship") of what I have in stock.

I would love to see these on a few planes at OSH.

I will also have a display of the wheel at the CROW Booth.

And like always, I will be offering an OSH discount on Crow Harnesses. Stay tuned for coupon code.

Just had one show up in the post yesterday! Beautiful gold anodizing means it is going to have to go on the Valkyrie for flight trials (just doesn’t match the paint on the -3 or the -6…..)….so we’ll see how it does!

In the interest of journalism, I better get the gram scale out before I install it though. 😉

Glad you got it Paul, yes, please weigh it and keep me honest. :)

Attachments

• IMG_6311.jpeg
    IMG_6311.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 65
Just to let everyone know. I want to reiterate, that all other colors aside from the Gold are still about 1-1.5 months out as the first run was just gold. I appreciate everyone's interest and orders.

Have a great week,
Dan

I think that means this is harder right? For us dumb guys can you explain durometer etc.? One thing several have commented on regarding the FlyBoy wheel which is 75 durometer (and I have noticed personally) is the increased noise/taxiway bumping compared with Van's standard tailwheel. What advantage is there for it to be harder still, rather than softer (other than perhaps longevity)
I think that means this is harder right? For us dumb guys can you explain durometer etc.? One thing several have commented on regarding the FlyBoy wheel which is 75 durometer (and I have noticed personally) is the increased noise/taxiway bumping compared with Van's standard tailwheel. What advantage is there for it to be harder still, rather than softer (other than perhaps longevity)?
Durometer Chart ...

HFS

Attachments

• Durometer Chart.jpg
    Durometer Chart.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 50
Hi Jim.

Silver is available as an option. I’m about 1-1.5mo out till they are available.

Last edited:
Back