What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Front Windshield

T.O.Craig

Well Known Member
Good Morning to All,
I'm gluing windows in this week. Passenger windows are in, doors are next, and lastly was going to be the front windshield. Another builder came by and thru me a curve by saying, "don't put in the front window until avionics are in". I'm trying to look at the advantage of leaving it out and working on the panel....I just don't see much.

I would think making holes for the defrost/ avionics cooling fans would be much easier with no windshield in, but not much more.

Good to hear from those that have been down this path

IMO, once the upper fuse is permanently attached, whether the windshield is on or not will have no impact on installing avionics. Cutting defrost fan holes, on the other hand, would be easier with the windshield off, but not impossible with it on.

Followed the plans, cut the two defroster/avionics cooling fan holes first. If painting glareshield and brace flat black, now is the time. Any area where windshield/fairing will be bonded should be rough sanded, acid etched and alodined for better adhesion/corrosion prevention. All my avionics came after engine/prop/fwf.

Last edited:
I just glued one in 2 days ago. Mark the deck skin where the windshield touches and make your glareshield/deck cover first. Then glue the glass.

Yes on avionics Fan holes and it won't hurt to make a card board template for your glare shield cover but avionics installation is in no way affected by having the windshield installed.
In fact, installing avionics or more precisely what's behind the avionics is quite pleasant from an upright sitting position in one of the front seats.

I suspect the person may have confused putting in the windshield versus riveting the upper fuselage assembly. Once the upper fuselage assembly is riveted, there is no advantage to keeping the windshield off.

There is advantage to delaying the upper fuselage assembly a bit, but sounds like you are well past that point.

If you haven't already trout of it, you may want to paint the forward edge of the cabin cover. Otherwise you'll have a pink stripe smiling at you when the plane is painted.

If you haven't already trout of it, you may want to paint the forward edge of the cabin cover. Otherwise you'll have a pink stripe smiling at you when the plane is painted.

Also, the fiberglass fairing at the bottom of the windscreen will show through from the inside. You can deal with that by coloring the resin as you lay up the fairing, or you can paint the inside of the windscreen high enough to hide the fairing. If you are going to do the later, paint the windscreen before you install it. Much easier than painting that confined space when the windscreen is fixed in place,

Jim Berry
RV-10

Thanks to All

I think I was on the right track with my install thoughts. I will cut the vent holes, tint the base of the windshield and now thanks to Bob I will take care of the pink smile...

Back