What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

front windshield(transparency) crazing

Bob Ed

Something has caused crazing. i would like to know if anyone in Texas can replace my windshield. Details?Vans says the window costs $470 so we can start from thereRobert N661G corpus christi, texas

I would give Jay Pratt a call. He has a ad on the left banner if you need his number. He's in Ft Worth.

windshield crazing

Bob is right on, give Jay Pratt a call, he is the best. On the crazing issue are you using a cleaner with amonia in it such as windex. When cleaning the windshield use an approved cleaner without amonia. Also never clean in circular strokes, always clean forward and aft along the windshield in straight lines.

Pat Stewart

I wouldn't put on new plastic until I was absolutely certain of what caused the crazing. Ammonia has been mentioned. Did you use an alcohol cleaner? Was alcohol in proximity to the canopy in something other than an airtight container? I believe isopropyl as well as some other forms are very strong solvents for acrylic. I remember storing muriatic acid in a closed container in my shop some years ago only to find a lot of rusty tools. Vaporization can be a serious problem. Good hunting.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

FWIW...

...We have to clean the Air Tractor windshield a dozen times a day and we've learned over the years, that Pledge works very well but Behold does the same thing and is half the price....no ammonia and the bugs come off easily.

Regards,

Turtle wax

Liquid turtle wax, cut 50/50 with water works great too.
We've used it on the 172 since it was new (1969) and still have the original windshield in it.

Marshall Alexander

I am new to aircraft ownership. I have a can of Plexus for my canopy. Is this pretty good stuff? Any long-term reports?

I am new to aircraft ownership. I have a can of Plexus for my canopy. Is this pretty good stuff? Any long-term reports?

Plexus works good, but you can save money like Pierre said and buy a big can of Pledge or Behold furnature polish, it's pretty much the same thing.

Silicones?

Just checked out info regarding Behold and Pledge, and they both seem to contain silicone oils. If you are looking to paint or repaint at some point, this may not be such a good idea.

Don't know if Plexus contains silicones... have not found any detailed information on this.

Any feedback regarding use of this product from out painter experts here on VAF?

Back