What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Front Vents peculiar position?

RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
RVators,

about to install the front NACA Vents as supplied, but it looks like the vents will be in an peculiar position. (Angled below the RV10 panel)

What have you guys done to them, it would be great to fit vents on flush with the panel, but it looks way to close to the panel to fit and route scat tubes?

Thank in advance.
Rudi

The early fuselage kits had the vent cutouts a little close to the panel and were moved forward later. Most people that did what you're talking about simply cut the Van's supplied vent apart, mounted the NACA part and then connected the two pieces with either SCAT (it WILL work) or glassed an adapter to make it work.

Bob
RV-10 N442PM (flying)

I decided from the beginning that I was going to find some way to get the air going thru a panel mounted vent. Thinking that some sort of custom plenum would be required, I took the Vans supplied a part, mounted the NACA duct as designed, mounted some good looking aluminum vents on the panel and found that SCAT tubing is very flexible stuff. It turned out that I can make a 360 degree bend SCAT between the duct and the panel vent and it seems to work.

I have a picture of my panel on the panel forum but I don't think the SCAT is installed or visible but you can see the placement. Didn't think it would work but looks like it will work just fine. I think this is what Bob was saying would work.

And having experienced how much air comes thru the vent, I don't think the 360 turn is going to be a problem since the full diameter is maintained throughout.

Back