What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Front tube question

Janekom

Well Known Member
Patron
We are trying to find out what front tube with a 5:00X5 size is available as the one that comes with the kit has a 90 degree stem that is so long that one cannot fit the valve cap - it then interferes with the fork.

I want to install SPC's wireless tire pressure monitor and cannot do it with the standard long stem.

I know I have seen the answer somewhere on VSF, but cannot locate it.
Thanks VAF ;)

We are trying to find out what front tube with a 5:00X5 size is available as the one that comes with the kit has a 90 degree stem that is so long that one cannot fit the valve cap - it then interferes with the fork.

I want to install SPC's wireless tire pressure monitor and cannot do it with the standard long stem.

Thanks VAF ;)

Take alook at this:

http://www.vansaircrafttires.com/products/Aero-Classic-500%2d5-Leakguard-Tube.html

If not already upgraded to Matco wheel NW511.25

this will help with clearance as well. Speak to George Happ or Carolyn at Matco Mfg. Van's sends the wrong nose wheel in our kits to save stocking another part. We end up spending $40+ on shpg/exchanging the new one.

Thanks VAF ;)

I'm not sure if it would be too long or not, but I got Desser 500-5 "Leakguard" Butyl Tube with the TR-67 Valve based on Tim Olson's recommendation. I'm quite sure this one has plenty of clearance for the valve cap, don't know how much more you need.

I have finished my nose wheel installation

using the "better" NW511.25 with tube and tire that comes in the kit.

The valve stem exits the tube from the center or "split line". The notch cut out for the stem is too large and only on one half. What we should have is a smaller notch on each half. I made a smaller cutout into other wheel half so that stem has 1/8" clearance. As I pressurized the tube the base of the stem beneath the rubber tube goes up inside of larger cutout and deflects the stem. This also happened before I made the small cutout. I installed a short piece of heat shrink on stem to help prevent wear at wheel penetration. I deburred the wheel halves sharp edges that mate against the tube in the area around the valve stem. The wheel per Van's is not made for a 5.00 x 5 tire and tube but is stocked for convenience. So I really don't think we gain anything from changing to the NW511.25 vs the original NW501.25. If you have the original wheel half just notch the other half so that there is 1/8" clearance around the stem and it will automatically give you more clearance from the nose fork.

I do like the Matco axle and spacer upgrade and highly recommend that.

Matco instructions are good. I found that by roughening the surfaces of the axle and nut that mate with bearing rubber seals then cleaning any grease off with solvent helps keep your rubber seal from turning with wheel. The rubber seal and outer brg race are one piece and are kept from spinning by the 1/4" x 20 bolt that goes through left side of nose fork.

There is more drag on the Matco wheel/brg setup than on the Cleaveland mains due to the stationary rubber seal vs the felt seals. It might be worth considering a Cleaveland 5.00 x 5 nose wheel if there is such an animal. I have not researched that as I have already bought the Matco then spent $40 more swapping them out.

I measured break away force at 18 lbs or 31 lbs depending on cotter pin hole chosen. So I left at 18 for now. I'll recheck before flight after it wears in some.

Thanks for your purchase! Let us know how everything works out =)

-Desser Tire

I'm not sure if it would be too long or not, but I got Desser 500-5 "Leakguard" Butyl Tube with the TR-67 Valve based on Tim Olson's recommendation. I'm quite sure this one has plenty of clearance for the valve cap, don't know how much more you need.

Problem solved

After a lot of searching and help from others (thanks Eric) I have ordered a Leakguard tube. BUT discovered that the stem is exactly the same as on the tube that came with the kit.

I have decided to have another try at solving the problem, using the supplied parts that one gets with the kit.

Step 1: Use a small tubing bender and bend the valve stem more or less as indicated in the picture below.
Front_tube_1.jpg

Step 2: Using a round file, file away the rim as shown. Look for the “V” mark as this will be opposite the half round already taken away in the other half. By doing this the stem will come through the rim without bending sideways.
Front_tube_2.jpg

Step 3: Enlarge the stem hole on the other rim half in order for the bent stem to go through easier. Assemble and inflate. Below is a picture after installation. Note that even the much bigger SPC sender unit has clearance with the fork.
Front_tube_3.jpg

Back