What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Front top skin/roll bar interface

Im riveting my front top skin on and notice that there is no gap between the roll bar itself and the skin. will this become a vibration problem to allow the skin edge to cut or score the roll bar or should there be some sort of padding or stand-off between the two. I didnt see anything in the plans calling for anything like that though. dont know how to post a pic or i would, sorry

Under general discussions there is a post about the 4th from top that will tell you how to post a picture. That would help folks see.

Sounds like your building a slider, wish I could help.
Jack

Did you manage to resolve this issue?

It looks like my top skin is the same, the top edge is rubbing hard on the roll bar, and the lower edge is difficult to get down to line up the holes with the side skin/longerons. I was thinking about triming that portion of skin a little lower to help the fit. It will be inside the windscreen anyway. This should stop the contact on the rollbar, and help rivet holes line up.

Im riveting my front top skin on and notice that there is no gap between the roll bar itself and the skin. will this become a vibration problem to allow the skin edge to cut or score the roll bar or should there be some sort of padding or stand-off between the two. I didnt see anything in the plans calling for anything like that though. dont know how to post a pic or i would, sorry

The skin-roll bar contact, as I recall, is no big deal. There is not much movement of these parts when it is all together.

As they say, press on. :)

Stretcher

I picked up a sheetmetal stretcher/shrinker set from Harbor Freight and stretched the radius on both sides a little so the skin fit better and there was less stress on the rivet holes near the rollbar gusset plate.

Back