What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Front spar attachment bracket incorrectly cut

macintron

Hi there,
I am working on page 8-3 on my RV-10 project. Unfortunately I misread the instructions and ended up cutting the AA6-1872X2-1/2 to the incorrect measurements. The length of the where there are two holes drilled or "bottom" calls for a 1inch by 1 21/32nd. For both right and left brackets I ended up cutting the length to 2 21/32. If I cut the piece to the correct length of 1in the width is 1 17/32 for the Right bracket and 1 18/32 for the left bracket. This is to make parts HS-1008R/L.

Is this a redo?

Hopefully I have explained the problem fully and is understandable. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Marcos

HS Attach Brackets

Marcos,

The brackets you are referring to are the attach brackets for the horizontal stabilizer (where it attaches to the tailcone). These brackets are pretty important, since they help hold your HS on the plane. However, I don't think your discrepancy is a problem as long as you have the proper edge distance for the two holes. HOWEVER, I would check with Vans because I believe these holes get enlarged later when you make spacers and mount the HS to the tailcone. Again, the important thing would be that you have proper edge distance for the final (possible enlarged) holes in their final state.

P.S. I've been occasionally checking your build log to watch your progress.:)

This is a important piece of structure, and a relatively inexpensive part to do over. I'd re-do, just for peace of mind. Otherwise, you'll always wonder about it.

Word from VANs is to rebuild it. Which is what I was going to do after realizing how important those brackets are.

I guess reading the instructions a dozen times and measuring then sleeping on it didn't avoid the error. Just need to be careful next time.

Thanks all of the responses.

Iflyrv10

Marcos,
Although I would just rebuild it, I think iflyrv10 sells these brackets...and other parts that vans has you fabricate. That said, I'm not sure iflyrv10 is still around and if they are, I've had problems with them in the past (no return phone calls). Others may have more info. Like I said though, it be quicker to re-fab.

See you tomorrow for some pancakes ;)
David

Back