What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Front side skin to longeron

paul330

Well Known Member
I'm riveting the forward fuselage side skin (F-1069) to the longeron (F-1013). How do you get the very front rivet under the F-1001J firewall gusset? Anything thin enough to fit in is simply not going to have the weight to set the rivet. :(

I was considering removing a bit more metal in the skin dimple, opening the hole to 1/8 and using a cherry-max.

Any suggestions?

You just need a larger selection of bucking bars. I think I used my tungsten bar, but it just fit.

Hmmm.... I have half a dozen bars including a tungsten one. None of them is close to fitting. I got the second last rivet OK with a bar about 1/4 thick but the available space for the last one is further reduced by the rivets holding the gusset to the firewall angle. I could find a piece of iron and grind it down but I think it would end up so skinny as to be useless.. :mad:

My reply isn't going to add value to the discussion. I don't remember having an issue in this area. Since it was over a year ago when I assembled this section, I don't remember any specifics. I only have a couple bucking bars, which would back what John stated.

I don't remember where it was, but I came across a similar situation. Took a large screwdriver and used the tip as the bucking bar - but - I held a heavy bucking bar against it for mass. Funky, but it worked.
John

I actually went with the option of drilling out to 1/8 and using a cherry max - worked beautifully. Obviously you can't go increasing the hole size willy-nilly but I believe the standard is no more than 2 together and no more than 1 in 10 average. Also the bottom most rivet on the skin behind the spar was a %&^$# so I used one there.

First time using cherry max and I am impressed. Will definitely use them as necessary now - much better than screwing up difficult rivets, drilling out etc, etc. Mind you, at 75c a piece you can't go mad.

Back