What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Front oil seal question.

Rivethead

Well Known Member
Long story short. I'm putting a front oil seal on my IO-360. Lycoming manual says to use Pliobond. I can get Pliobond from Aircraft Spruce but I'd rather not wait around. I've gone to a couple of the local airports and have found that virtually no one uses Pliobond. What's worse is the assortment of things that are used and none seem to be off the shelf at least where I live. However I did find that one of the service departments uses Hylomar for their oil seals exclusively. Then while at the other airport I found a new tube of Hylomar that I bought. Now that I have it I'm having second thoughts, I'm feeling very unsure about it because of the non setting characteristic of Hylomar. I would like to hear from anyone that has used this stuff before or for that matter heard of it's use.

sealing the nose

Rivethead, Hylamar is mostly used for sealing the mating surfaces of the cases during assembly. It is somewhat pliable but is not, for a better lack of terms, a totally sealant concoction. By itself, it will leak because it is nothing more than an adhesive. On the flip side, pliobond 10 or 20 is a very good sealant for the rubber nose seal as it does as the name implies; it stays pliable. The active ingrediant is MEK (Methal Ethyl Ketone), a very volatile substance that is a natural adhesion to rubber. it works great on the nose seal IF,IF all parts are clean of oil, grease and dirt. A light amount is applied to both surfaces to be bonded. The down side is that it sets up rather quickly. So when you apply it, be ready to install the seal in the cases.

Q-man
won't be long now :)

Found a bottle of pliobond today and the seal is done. Some well stocked Ace Hardware stores keep it on hand. I had ditched the idea of Hylomar even before I read your reply but thank you for it.

Back