What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Front NACA vents and Aerosport panel

Dorfie

Well Known Member
Busy installing the front NACA vents. Curious to know what you did with them to fit in with the Aerosport panel air outlets. Don't have my panel yet so I am not sure about gap and alignment between vent and panel outlet.
Did you cut the square flange off the plastic vents prior to installation?
Did you use NACA vents with the 2" outlet as for the rear vents instead of the supplied front vents with flange attached?
I assume you have to install one of these vents (or similar) into the panel: http://www.steinair.com/storedetail.cfm?productid=313
(Don't know how to make hyperlink within VAF website)
I don't want to permanently install them with the flanges on and then later realize I have to cut the flanges off.
Thanks.
Johan

Just cut off the other end of the Naca Vent before you install it. You can see where Vans glued the two together. You will eventually run a a short length of SCAT tube from the naca vent to the Eyeball vent you want from Steins.

To clarify, you want the vent to look like a stock SV-1 as seen here

cat-med_ventilation-components.jpg

You'll want the smaller SteinAir vents to go with the Aerosport Products panel. It's got a 2" flange on the back. Using the NACA vent that Vans supplies with the kit, you just need a short piece of SCAT tube to connect them. If I remember correctly, there is about a 1/2" - 3/4" gap, which doesn't align perfectly, but the flexibility in SCAT allows the connection to mate without an issue.

Yes, I used Van's SV-1 NACA vent for both front and rear vents.

You'll want the Aerosport Product NACA controller to ensure you can totally cut off the air in the winter.

Thank you

Mark, Is there enough "meat" left on the NACA vent to allow a 2" clamp grip area once the square flange is cut off?
Bob, I assume the NACA controller you mention is for the rear NACA vents. If so, I have that installed, similar setup to yours (Thanks!!)
Thanks again for the quick replies. On my way to the hanger soon.
Johan

Mark, Is there enough "meat" left on the NACA vent to allow a 2" clamp grip area once the square flange is cut off?
Bob, I assume the NACA controller you mention is for the rear NACA vents. If so, I have that installed, similar setup to yours (Thanks!!)
Thanks again for the quick replies. On my way to the hanger soon.
Johan

I don't understand your question. For the front vents with an Aerosport panel, use the SV-1 and the small 1.25" SteinAir vent. Don't cut anything. Both are ready for a 2" scat tube and clamps.

I don't understand your question. For the front vents with an Aerosport panel, use the SV-1 and the small 1.25" SteinAir vent. Don't cut anything. Both are ready for a 2" scat tube and clamps.

Bob, if you dont remember the front vents supplied by Vans come with the SV-1 and SV-2 bonded together. When you use an after market eyeball and use SCAT tube, you have to cut off the SV-2 part on the front vents.

It's done

Thanks for the help. I cut the Vans kit supplied vents about 1/4 inch towards the square flange side (vent SV-2) of the joint as Mark indicated. Fits 2' scat perfectly. Front and back NACA's now permanently mounted.
Cheers.
Johan

Bob, if you dont remember the front vents supplied by Vans come with the SV-1 and SV-2 bonded together. When you use an after market eyeball and use SCAT tube, you have to cut off the SV-2 part on the front vents.

Mine didn't. SV-1 came looking like the one in your picture. I didn't have to cut anything.

Stein's large vents

I purchased the large vents from Stein. The NACA inlets are so close that I cut down the vents and inlets and made up a fibreglass shroud. The vents mount on the bottom of a one piece aluminium panel that Stein fabricated.

ventsxx.jpg

Last edited:
Back