What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Front NACA ducts and water ingestion?

Aiki_Aviator

Well Known Member
Hi all,

I am currently on the last section of my build and had a few friends over the other day. One of them posed an interesting question.

Doesn't the air vent on the front also let water in? If so, how are you stopping the water on that and the other air vent to the back seats?\

Basically I did not have an answer. Does anyone have a cleaver way of approaching managing the air vents and preventing water ingress?

Thanks everyone in advance.

Hi all,

I am currently on the last section of my build and had a few friends over the other day. One of them posed an interesting question.

Doesn't the air vent on the front also let water in? If so, how are you stopping the water on that and the other air vent to the back seats?\

Basically I did not have an answer. Does anyone have a cleaver way of approaching managing the air vents and preventing water ingress?

Thanks everyone in advance.

I put fiberglass screen over the naca vent. It won't keep 100% of water out! but it will minimize it. It's primary role is to keep critters out.

I have Aerosport Product interior panels and plan to do the same with the piece that goes over the rear vent.

With that said, I plan to keep those closed most of the time, since I also have an Aerosport products overhead console. I prefer having air blowing in my face than in my crotch. :D

In flight?

I've flown in some pretty heavy rain in Florida and very little comes in the cockpit. I suspect the mass of the rain drop doesn't let it make the turn into the actual inlet. On the ground during washing I tape over them or else water accumulates in the tubing and soaks you right after lift off.( don't ask how I know this)
Enjoy,
Rich

Fiberglass screen

Hi Bob,

When you refer to the screen is this during flight or on the ground. If in flight do you have pictures of your approach, or are you only using the rear vents?

Thanks.

I did this too. A few bucks at the local Aviation Depot store (http://www.homedepot.com/p/New-York-Wire-36-in-x-84-in-Fiberglass-Screen-FCS8558-M/100397104). This is more than enough for a lifetime for you and all your hangar mates. Cut the screen into 3-4" squares, it fits over the end of the naca vent and then the scat tube goes over the screen and holes it in place. If it is ever damaged, remove the scat tube and the screen comes loose and place another in its place.

Make sure you get the fiberglass style, not the metal as it would rust otherwise.

Hi Bob,

When you refer to the screen is this during flight or on the ground. If in flight do you have pictures of your approach, or are you only using the rear vents?

Thanks.

It's installed like Mark described. I don't think I have any photos. The screens are permanently installed over the naca vent output and underneath the scat tubing.

I can take a photo of the rear ones when I put them in. I should be putting the interior panels for the last time in the next couple of weeks.

I have flown in some very heavy rain and I cannot remember seeing any water come in through the vents or anywhere else for that matter.
You can also just shut the vents and the perceived problem of water entering your cabin is solved.
As for critters, again you can shut the vents when you are on the ground or install screens.
In 200 plus hours of flying all over the place I have not had any critters enter my cabin, neither through the door nor the vent.
Keep it simple.

I cut out a circle of scotch bright material and inserted it into the scat tubing. It works as a filter and I have never seen water in the vent in over 200 hours

I used a homebrewd circuit to control RC servos and operate fabricated fiberglass doors.

Can be controlled in flight.

IMAG0656.jpg

IMAG0664.jpg

IMAG0315.jpg

IMAG0313.jpg

IMAG0312.jpg

I have flown in some very heavy rain and I cannot remember seeing any water come in through the vents or anywhere else for that matter.
You can also just shut the vents and the perceived problem of water entering your cabin is solved.
As for critters, again you can shut the vents when you are on the ground or install screens.
In 200 plus hours of flying all over the place I have not had any critters enter my cabin, neither through the door nor the vent.
Keep it simple.

Yes, this.

No screens. No bugs. Part of my preflight with a flashlight. I wax the plane once or twice per year including inside the vent to deter wasp from attaching their nest. The water blows right past my naca vent opening. Remember cohesion vs adhesion.

....In 200 plus hours of flying all over the place I have not had any critters enter my cabin, neither through the door nor the vent....

I've had some huge insects in the cockpit after a night out in a rural location. They came out from their hiding places when I took off. Fortunately they fell asleep at my high cruising altitude. That airplane had a window I could open, which I did during my rapid descent, and they awoke and left through the window without biting me.

Screens are a GOOD thing.

Incidentally, if you close the vent upon exiting and open it when back in the air, whatever's in the vent inlet can still enter the cockpit if there's no screen.

Dave

Dave

Servo-operated Door

Joel,

I like your little servo-operated NACA doors! Lot's of work, but how cool is that!?

I put an S-curve in the tubing such that the tubing makes two ~90 degree turns before meeting the vent in the cockpit. The screen makes such that no insects or debris find a way in, and the routing of the hose makes sure no water does either.

Back