What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fresh Air Vents and Cold Air

Tcheairs

Well Known Member
I'm been getting a lot of cold air in the cockpit this winter from the fresh air eyeball vents. They don't close very well so I put band clamp rubber plugs from Home Depot on the eyeballs, but there's still quite a bit of leakage around the seat of the eyeball. Anyone come up with a solution for this (other than stopping up the intakes on the outside of the fuselage which I'm assuming is a no no).

I'm been getting a lot of cold air in the cockpit this winter from the fresh air eyeball vents. They don't close very well so I put band clamp rubber plugs from Home Depot on the eyeballs, but there's still quite a bit of leakage around the seat of the eyeball. Anyone come up with a solution for this (other than stopping up the intakes on the outside of the fuselage which I'm assuming is a no no).

Tom, I assume you have the miserable plastic eyeball vents. There are much better vents available, so swap if you wish. Otherwise, yes indeed, find a suitable ball or plug to insert from the outside.

Are these the standard plastic vents from Van's, or are these aftermarket versions? If they're the plastic ones, Van's has some verbiage about making a seal to go around the outside of the fit to block off some cold air in winter. I just read their instruction sheet this afternoon while cleaning out the hangar of stuff I no longer need. And yes, that sheet is already in the dumpster or I'd share it with you.

The other option is getting aftermarket aluminum vents. There are several suppliers of these from the typical RV parts supply places. They're pricy, but they work well and look great.

The plastic ones are junk. There is an aluminum replacement that is expensive but very, very worth it.

Thanks, I'll have to look at what it takes to get the plastic ones out and new (Stein Air) ones in. In the meantime I'm going to check into ping pong balls to plug the outside air inlets as Dan H mentioned.

Packing tape over the NACA inlets should do some good. ;)

The aluminum vents are nice quality, but they can be broken, as in my case by a veteran passenger who was used to how temperamental the cheap-o plastic ones in my 6A were, and tried the pushing-fingers-into-the-vanes to open the stupid thing when he rode in the -10 with the nice ones. It was necessary to remove and disassemble the unit to fix the damage he caused, but it works fine now. And he knows now to turn the collar to open/close it.

If I can train him not to snag the fold-out cup holder with his foot when he folds his lymphedema-swollen legs into the footwell, we'll be getting some place...

Thanks, I'll have to look at what it takes to get the plastic ones out and new (Stein Air) ones in. In the meantime I'm going to check into ping pong balls to plug the outside air inlets as Dan H mentioned.

Take two business cards and cut them in half so you have a left and right. Open your vent a little and slide 1 of the 4 pieces into each side and close the vent.

This will buy you time...... I have been doing this for years.....:eek:

I have nice aluminum vents that I close off but still get leakage from around the hose. I know it isnt the best looking but I tape over the outside with blue painters tape. It does work.

The tape stays on the outside of the vent when you're cruising along at 190 mph? Or do you somehow place tape inside the vent?

NACA Shutter

I incorporated a sliding shutter to close off the NACA vent during my build. Works like the fresh air vent in an old vehicle, pull to open, push to close, no leakage.

The tape stays on the outside of the vent when you're cruising along at 190 mph? Or do you somehow place tape inside the vent?

Yes, it works fine. It has been on for about a month. I overlapped the tape about 1.2 and it is still on. Since my plane is red, I will look for some red painters tape to match but being warmer is better than matching tape!

Amazon has it..

Attachments

• Red Painters Tape.jpg
    Red Painters Tape.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 108
I incorporated a sliding shutter to close off the NACA vent during my build. Works like the fresh air vent in an old vehicle, pull to open, push to close, no leakage.

Would you mind sharing the shutter you used for this? The source would be GREAT

I cut a round piece from a closed cell foam that fits right in. The main problem with the vent is that the force of the air will cause them to open up a little and this foam will prevent that and block any leakage.

In my new plane, I have the Stein vent and really like them. They have enough friction that the air can not push them to open up and they allow plenty of air in the summer time.

Would you mind sharing the shutter you used for this? The source would be GREAT

I built it from some material I had, when I built the airplane, over 20 yrs ago.
It is sandwiched between the inside of the fuse skin and the plastic piece that the flex duct connects to.
It is a piece of .032 aluminum sliding in a track. The rear end is bent to allow the attachment of a rod to operate it.
I no longer have the drawing I used.
It would not be an easy job to add it to a completed airplane, if even possible.

Back