What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

freight to Australia

crashley

Well Known Member
HI I am looking at building a rv 12 could anyone tell me how much it cost to bring there kit over to australia
ashley

Ashley,

You will get a response here but another place to ask the question is on the yahoo 'RVs_in_Aus' group.

The principles of shipping ae pretty clear, aggregate shipments as much as you can. Airfreight seems to be only marginally more expensive than sea freight for sub kit / tool kit size items.

Costs are: Shipping, Customs Agent (use one! they know how to minimise the gazillion other 'ports' charges and will aggregate these into one bill) and GST (paid on the landed AUD value including shipping). For large shipments (>$AUD1000), the agent fees and GST are predictable but expensive as you would expect.

Much has changed since I imported my kit - you need to talk with someone with recent experience for recommendations.

My small to medium parts drops from Vans (<AU$1000) and a variety of other US suppliers I have shipped FedEx, they of all the common US carriers seem to have the best operation in Australia. Vans can give you a quote for a FedEx shipment. Never never make the mistake of asking for an 'urgent' delivery - always costs way more and takes twice as long.

Regards,
Doug

AShley
Phil at Aussie Car Imports due to economics of Aussie doller didn't have a container to melb for sometime (I have been waiting to catch a ride with something).
I emailed him last wek to ask if anything to Melb in prospect and he tells me he has a container coming to Melbourne sometime "soon" (but no date) and I have my item on the way to him now.
So I don't know when the cut off is but it may be a ggod oportunity to get something with less waite than usual to get it here with him.
Advantages of Aussie Car Imports - cheap and delivered to your door for my stuff.
Disadvantages - Phil is sometimes variable at replying to emails (hence he hasn't replied yet to my question of when the cut off is for stuff to get to him for the forthcoming container to Melb, and when it is due to leave).
To be fair to him, with our stuff catching a ride in container primarily used for cars, he may not know yet when he will have enough cars to order a container.
I have found Aussie Car Importers to be excellent and significantly cheaper all told, and I am happy to use them and Phil again.
I have no commercial or personal tie up with Phil or Aussie Car Imports
John
Melbourne

australian freight

HI I have just ordered a rv12 kit does anyone want to share freight to australia
ashley

Guilty of all of the above...

Thanks guys. It is sometimes hard to predict how soon "soon" is. If we have 1 car the "soon" is longer than "soon". If we have 2 cars ready then soon is faster than "soon"! If that makes sense then you know where we are at. Last year Brisbane was the hot spot for shipping, right now it is Melbourne and Perth.

2 containers to Melbourne last week.
1 container to Melbourne this week.
1 container to Brisbane this week.
1 container to Fremantle next week.

Part container to Sydney ready
Part container to Fremantle ready
Part container to Melbourne ready
Part container to Brisbane ready
Part container to Adelaide ready
Another part container to Fremantle ready

The dollar is up and the Aussies are buying...

Last edited:
Containers departing

We are more than happy to ship your VAN's kits, tools or other parts to Australia. We are fairly local to VAN's and will collect from them and deliver to the nearest major port.

1 container to Melbourne this week.
1 container to Brisbane this week.
1 container to Fremantle next week.

Part container to Sydney ready
Part container to Fremantle ready
Part container to Melbourne ready
Part container to Brisbane ready
Part container to Adelaide ready
Another part container to Fremantle ready

The dollar is up and the Aussies are buying...

Ashley it is neat to see you started this thread and I now see you are up in the air flying your plane. Great to see.

Any other kits we have shipped that are flying? Would love to add pictures of them to our new gallery of past shipments we are putting together. Please email them to me direct.

As all the Aussies know the dollar is up and we are very busy. We are doing 1-2 containers per week, we are limited by the amount the packing depot can handle. If you need anything shipped to Australia (small or large) please let us know and we will beat any other sea freight quote.

We are picking up another kit from Vans tomorrow bound for Sydney.

Thanks for you continued patronage and look forward to a great 2011.

Cheers

Hi Phil,
I'm more than happy with how you handled our RV9a quick build kit to Brisbane (arrived 16th Dec 09). It arrived very quick and unmarked, with the added bonus of cheaper than anyone else. Thank you for your hard work in doing that for us.
It is finished and hoping to get the rego through in the next day or so. So hoping for the 1st flight in the next week (weather permitting).

All the best for the new year Phil, have a good one.

Bob & Robyn Dennis

Hi Phil,
I'm more than happy with how you handled our RV9a quick build kit to Brisbane (arrived 16th Dec 09). It arrived very quick and unmarked, with the added bonus of cheaper than anyone else. Thank you for your hard work in doing that for us.
It is finished and hoping to get the rego through in the next day or so. So hoping for the 1st flight in the next week (weather permitting).

All the best for the new year Phil, have a good one.

Bob & Robyn Dennis

Bob & Robyn - congratulations on getting the 9a put together! We would love to see a picture of it all done that way if I will keep my eyes on the sky over the Gold Cost I will know it is you!

Back