What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Frangible bolt-00002 Description

Tom Delaney

Well Known Member
Good Afternoon,

I can't seem to locate these two bolts for the installation of the fuel tank...getting close to the end!

I would appreciate if someone could provide the length and any markings on the head of the bolt. I believe the new bolts replaced AN3-7A.

Thanks,

Good Afternoon,

I can't seem to locate these two bolts for the installation of the fuel tank...getting close to the end!

I would appreciate if someone could provide the length and any markings on the head of the bolt. I believe the new bolts replaced AN3-7A.

Thanks,

It is an AN3-7A bolt with a hole drilled in the center of the head.

You might look for them at the tank, I screwed mine into their threaded holes on the tank to avoid just what you are experiencing.

I actually put them there for another good reason. Sure did not want to accidentally put them in a place of a regular bolt. I am old, don't see too good anymore!

Found them!

Thanks guys. First place I looked was the tank but not there. The description from Scott had them in hand in short order. The quick response here kept my down time to less than ten minutes.

I almost hate to ask this but how easy would it be to break off the head of the bolt while placing it? I am thinking of the resistance of the nut plate threads and not using a torque wrench in this situation leading to over torquing. At least I don't recall reading anything stating a torque wrench is used here. The landing gear mod gave me a good experience in the application of prevailing torque so I understand that.

Torque them normally

Thanks guys. First place I looked was the tank but not there. The description from Scott had them in hand in short order. The quick response here kept my down time to less than ten minutes.

I almost hate to ask this but how easy would it be to break off the head of the bolt while placing it? I am thinking of the resistance of the nut plate threads and not using a torque wrench in this situation leading to over torquing. At least I don't recall reading anything stating a torque wrench is used here. The landing gear mod gave me a good experience in the application of prevailing torque so I understand that.

I believe the instructions say to torque them the same as a normal un-frangible-ized bolt

Hole doesn't affect torque.

A hole in the middle of the bolt head will only minimally affect the bolt's ability to accept torque - but it will affect it's shear strength! (Which, I suspect, is the idea).

Torque is taken by the outer edge of the bolt - think about a drive shaft on a car, it is a tube because it will take torque just as well as a solid shaft - and is actually called a "torque tube"!

Last edited:

Determin the prevailing torque of the nutplate, add the standard torque value of an AN3 bolt to that, and then torque with a torque wrench. As long as you dont exceed that value, there should be no danger of twisting off the bolt head.

Back