What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Forward skin preparation

SmittysRV

Well Known Member
I have everything drilled on the forward end of fuselage now and am ready to take everything apart and start the dimpling and countersinking process. The forward bottom skin is pretty thick. So where the forward side skin overlaps the forward bottom skin, should I just dimple both skins and countersink the angle piece underneath, Or did anyone countersink the bottom skin and leave the langle piece alone?

20090315_01.jpg

Thanks!

I'm at the same point. I plan on dimpling the side skin, countersinking the bottom skin, and leaving the angle underneat alone. The bottom skin meets the minimum thickness of .040" for countersinking.

If you can dimple the bottom skin (it is pretty thick), you would be OK to dimple both skins and countersink the angle.

IMO, the 1st option is much easier.

I dimpled both skins and countersunk the angle. It turned out pretty nice.

BTW, when you get the firewall off again you might consider installing the gascolator/solenoid doublers (if you'll be using them). I'm doing it now, and really wish I had done it when assembling the firewall, or at least before attaching it to the fuse.

Back