What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Forward Fuselage Ribs F1048

I have a query which I am stuck on and have asked Vans but whilst waiting for a reply wondered if any other RV10 builder/owner came across the same query.

The subject relates to : Page 28-2 Attach angles to Fwd fuselage ribs

The text above Figure 2 says to CSK the nut plate attach holes in the forward fusleage ribs on the inside.

However the neither the angles F1043CL & CR or the F1048 have any nut plate attach holes in them. Is this a error or has this area been revised and what are the nut plates for?

Look forward to hearing from you

Martin

Hah! - I am a little ahead of you :D

I am away at the moment but something is ringing a bell from when I did that a couple of weeks ago. I think maybe the attach angle used to be fixed with screws and nutplates. Now it has -4 rivets. As another upshot of that, you might want to consider riveting the atttach angles to the ribs BEFORE fitting the nutplates on the other flange. some of them really get in the way and I had to grind quite a bit of an offset rivet set to get to the manufactured head.

Back in UK next week (BA permitting :mad:) and I have a few days before I have to go back to work to get some more done. I have a friend coming down for a week in early June when we will get the forward and mid fuse together and start on the sides.

I can't remember the details here, since it's been over a year since I assembled this section. However, in doing a little research, I believe I found a revision control issue with the plans. I have two set of plans. One set is is what came with my fuselage in Feb 2009 and the other is a few years older.

Here's the image from the older plans:

Old.JPG

You'll notice that there are two nutplates on the inside against the tunnel. Also notice the revision and date on this illustration.

Here's the version that came with my plans in Feb 2009.

new.jpg

You'll notice that there isn't any nutplates holes on the tunnel side of the angle. Also note the revision and date.

It appears that they changed the plans when they updated the location for the mounting plate for the fuel selector. While they updated the illustration, the revision, date, and text were overlooked.

Here's a photo of the part installed in my RV-10.

photo.jpg

Build on..........

bob

Last edited:
Forward Fuselage Ribs

Thank you both for your comments.

Paul - just put the front fuse and mid fuse together yesterday for the first time. Thanks for the tip for the plate nuts.

Bob - the details you have shown clearly identify and clarify my query - thank you very much. It seems the plate nuts did secure the fuel lines to the Ribs prior to the revision. That's that one sorted out, now on with the build.

Best regards
Martin
York
UK

Back