What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Forward Floor Skin Fit

WingsOnWheels

Well Known Member
I am about ready to rivet the floor skin on, but have some concerns.

Unless I completely misread the plans, the flange on the forward sking slips between the lower longeron and the side skin.

Since the side skins have to step up onto the floor skin flange, I am concerned that the rivets at the firewall weldment and F-604 flange will pinch the side skin next to the floor skin flange.

How did other folks prevent the skin from pinching close to the floor skin flange. Did you insert tapered spacers next to the floor skin, under the side skin to let the side skin ramp-up to the level of the bottom skin? 0.040 is pretty think skin to step up to without a transistion.

Edit:

Here is a picture showing the areas I am refering to:

bottomskinfit.jpg

Thanks,

Last edited:
Listening for future reference...

Hi Colin,

I'm curious to see others say that have 'been there'...
I'm quite a ways behind you (just getting started on the fuselage), but looking forward to try to avoid any issues...

Chris

Colin, here is a picture of my quickbuild forward corners looking at it from the firewall back. There is no discernable pinch. The firewall flange has the slightest jog in it right above the floor skin on one side. Of course, there's nothing riveted on my firewall yet except the temp pop rivet to keep the skin down. I could not see any bump in the skin forward of the main spar either. Looks to me like the floor/side skin is riveted to the longeron down low on the longeron (nearer the bend in the longeron rather than nearer the top which gives the side skin gentler transition along the longeron and no noticeable pinch. I've got temp wood framework in the way that prevents giving you a good picture of the area by the spar. Hope that helps.

o4X.jpg

o4j.jpg

Last edited:
Wendell,

Thank you for the information and pictures.

I spoke with Ken and Vans and he suggested to just taper the skin a bit (like the wing skin overlap). At the rear corner he said to cut the corner at a 45 and then taper the edge and there should be no problem.

Back