What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Forward facing API FAB solution?

andrew phillips

Well Known Member

I came up with a solution to fitting the FAB on a superior IO-360 with the Vans FAB that I have not seen on any sites yet. I cut and sanded the flange of the airbox until it just fit over the intake of the fuel metering valve. This moved the FAB aft so that I had all the clearance from the lower cowl and the air filter end is now centered in the floor of the left intake baffle. I was thinking of placing an O-ring over the API intake tube then butting the FAB up to it. The FAB will be held in place by some brackets from the alternator mount that I will fiberglass in. I know that other builders have gone with the ram air system and created an intake duct in the lower cowl. Van's advided me to stick with their FAB (I know...very conservative!). This will sure save a lot of time in fiberglass work and maintain the clean line of the cowl that I like.

Am I missing anything here...it seemes too easy?

I have posted a link to a pic at the top of this email. This is my first time with a pic so I'm not sure if it will work. If it doesn't I may post again until the pic works

Thanks!

Unless that O-ring is gonna be secured, it'll possibly get ingested. Don't think I'd do it that way. Personally, I'd want a secure interface between the airbox and the FM-200 servo. Otherwise you'll probably have a bit of chafing. Fiberglass bits getting ingested comes to mind...

You've probably seen how I did mine on my RV-7. www.rvproject.com has photos. It works GREAT! 1418 hours with no airbox issues. Higher MP with the filtered air than anybody else I've flown with...and a bit of boost with the ram air doesn't hurt on top of that. Yep, it's more work, but it's almost foolproof imho.

Back