What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Forward end of R915 rudder stiffeners (RV-7A)

skyyking56

Well Known Member
I see that on the forward end of the R915A (longest rudder stiffener bottom) has a notch that when you cut from it (from stiffener detail on drawing) it gives the end about a 30 degree cut on the non hole leg of the angle. It doesnt say in the plans to cut every one like that because there are no guide notches on the shorter ones.
Do we assume that they are all typical to that angle or are just the bottom stiffeners angled. Do the rest just get cut perpendicular to both legs of the angle? (hope this makes sense)
Appreciate any advice!!!!!!!!
Jim
7A Rudder

I just cut mine at the same approximate angle as the first one. Just eye balled it. Can't see where it is at all critical.

Steve Eberhart
RV-7A, wings and tail mounted. On to the canopy, slider of course.

Cut them... eyeball is fine

I didn't (to start with) and when you try to close up your rudder, you risk the forward end of the stiffeners interfereing with the spar, or more likely the reinforcement plates and/or rivet heads on the reinforcement plates, due to the <90 degree angle of the inside of the skin with the spar. I ended up drilling out some rivets to open things back up, trim them and file them down :mad: .

The angle isn't really critical... just make it look like the plans... no need to measure, and very quick and easy to do.

Back