What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Forward elevator push tube rub at F-705

cjensen

Well Known Member
I installed the forward elevator push tube tonight, and it operates smoothly. However, with the tube at it's lowest point (approx. neutral stick), if you press down on the tube, it hits the pass thru at the 705 bulkhead. It's not resting on the pass thru, but it only clears it by a sixteenth or so.

Is this normal, or are people putting some type of felt or equivalent to prevent a metal to metal rub? I don't know that I can file anything because the bottom of the pass thru is right at the top of the rear spar bar.

Again, it DOES NOT touch the pass thru without pushing on it, only when it's pressed down slightly.

11-9-07-007w.jpg

:confused:

Last edited:
Chad,
Mine foward elev p-rod went in with the usual muttering and sputtering, as I found out how little wiggle room there is to fit it in there. It doesn't seem to rub at 705, but then again, I haven't "pressed it" for your minimal clearance test. I'll let you know.

When I installed my push rod it did not rub. Something over the past year shifted just enough to have it make very light contact. The push rod very lightly touched it and made an audible scrape. If you only have about 1/16" clearance you my find the same issue I had.

Last week I finally got around to doing something about it. Took my Dremel with the snake attachment and the little round barrel sanding thingy and with a block of wood propping up the push rod I ground about an 1/8" on the bottom of the bulkhead. Touched up with my alodine pen and it now is perfect. Took about 2 min to fix.

Mine rubbed

Chad,

Mine rubbed and I spoke to Van's about this. Pretty common on the RV-7's (and RV-9's). Per Van's instructions I removed about 3/32-1/8. I used a Dremel tool and sanding drum. Keep in mind you need some clearance not just it "just touches".

I believe Dan Checkoway has a few pictures of his mod on his website.

Mine didn't rub but...

when I got to this point and moved the stick through it's full range, when the elevator hit the stops I could hear something kind of rattling/ buzzing. Upon further investigation I could see that when the elevator hit the stop (don't recall which stop) the pushrod would bounce/vibrate just enough to cause the pushrod to rattle against the pass through. Can imagine that this contact could become significant with engine and inflight vibrations. I did what has been suggested and removed a small amount of material from the bottom of the passthrough with a Dremel/sanding drum.

Jim McChesney
Tucson, AZ
-7A finishing (canopy skirts)

Same with me. I probably could've gotten away with it the way it was, but I felt more comfortable taking the Dremel and enlarging the square hole on the bottom. Makes me feel better, makes it less likely to rub, and removes a little weight.

Wow. Jeff, I don't think that post was necessary in the least...first post none-the-less!

Anyway, I did what the others have suggested, to fix the problem.

11-10-07-001w.jpg

Wow. Jeff, I don't think that post was necessary in the least...first post none-the-less!

Anyway, I did what the others have suggested, to fix the problem.

11-10-07-001w.jpg

Looks fine. Might round the edges a tad more and run a chip chaser between the spar and webbing, but it looks great. The chip chaser does a decent job of breaking the edge where you can not get a file or other tool between pieces.
I think Jeff was just teasing Bob. I dont know Bob, but I like his posts and I bet he can take it. ;)
Keep up the good work.

Thanks. I did round the edges a bit more, but there's no way I can get my chip chaser in between...I'll give it another look, but I couldn't get it to go the other day.:)

Did I miss something? Something say something bad about me? Must've 'cuz it looks like the post is gone.

Oh, well. I'll just add 'em to the list. :p

I sure it hope it wasn't valuable information, though. I'd hate to think my plane will unzip in flight because I missed somethin'.

Did I miss something? Something say something bad about me? Must've 'cuz it looks like the post is gone.

Oh, well. I'll just add 'em to the list. :p

I sure it hope it wasn't valuable information, though. I'd hate to think my plane will unzip in flight because I missed somethin'.
I found it somewhat out of line, but more than anything, it provided nothing constructive with regard to the thread. I would guess that was the reason for removal. It may have been a joke, but it was aimed at you Bob.

:)

Back to our regularly scheduled program...

Bob Collins - The Timex/Energizer Bunny

Bob, you take a licking and keep on ticking. on-and-on-and-on.....

Thanks for having a good perspective on some fairly unconstructive comments. I've appreciated your inputs over the years and taking your time out to help the rest of us. I continue to question where do you get the time?:)

Back