What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Forward canopy skin gap

Robert M

Well Known Member
I have a gap between the aft tube of the forward canopy frame and the forward canopy skinright around the hard curve from top to side - on both sides. The forward skin gets distorted when I cleco it flush to the tube. What can I do to keep the form of the skin and still have the riveets work?

Without clecos.....
fwrdcnpyskin3.jpg

with clecos....
fwrdcnpyskin2.jpg

skin distorted.......
fwrdcnpyskin1.jpg

I put some small, 1/8" i.d. nylon washers in there to take up the slack when the rivet was pulled. I used the nylon ones because they're thicker than AN960s.

I put some small, 1/8" i.d. nylon washers in there to take up the slack when the rivet was pulled. I used the nylon ones because they're thicker than AN960s.

How long of a rivet did you use? Was it long enough to catch the tube or just the washers?

Robert

Last edited:
I am going to attempt something a little different. I'm going to use an aluminum channel, cut to a short length, filed down to proper height, JB Welded to the tubing then match drilled to the skin. Hope it'll work.

Robert

I got pulled rivets that were long enough to grab the tube. Don't remember how long they were. BTW, I reduced the amount of "air" in the gap by putting a crease on each side of the canopy skin, similar to what another builder showed on his website. I can send you a pic in a PM.

BTW, I reduced the amount of "air" in the gap by putting a crease on each side of the canopy skin, similar to what another builder showed on his website. I can send you a pic in a PM.

A picture would be great, thanks.

Canopy forward skin spacers

Here's what I did....

Cut each piece from a 1/2" X 1/2" X 1/16" aluminum channel, marked center of top for hole alignment, measured each location with my caliper for depth, removed enough material to get approximate height, placed for trial fit, reworked if necessary, taped in place, match drilled to skin.

The spacers in place.....
canopyskinspacers1sml.jpg

Last edited:
Same problem on mine. When I called Van's they said it was O.K. to leave those rivets out. I didn't want to do that, so I used a very thick flox mixture as filler.

Just my solution...

All Best

Jeremy Constant

I'm building a 7, but same canopy issue. I built a "dam" behind the gap and filled the area with an epoxy/flox mix.... a small bit of sanding and I consider the issue resolved.

I'm building a 7, but same canopy issue. I built a "dam" behind the gap and filled the area with an epoxy/flox mix.... a small bit of sanding and I consider the issue resolved.

This is also what I did on mine. Looks just fine.

Kent

Back