What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

forming mark advice needed

T.S.

A little advice please...
Could anyone give some advice on forming marks found on a left elevator trim tab spar? The marks are through the alclad for sure. More than enough to feel with a finger nail. They appear on both top and bottom. They may be able to be buffed down with a scotch bright wheel or file, but I am not able to measure the depth of the marks to ensure finished thickness. They are sharp marks most likely made during forming.
Has this been seen before?
Is it a file it down and prime fix - or replace?

SOMEONE should have seen the blue plastic cut evenly on both sides down into the metal on this one prior to shipping.
1171713qk9.jpg

Thanks,

T.S.
7A L elevator
QB here in a week or two

That's entirely normal. It's pretty difficult for a machine to bend stock that thick without leaving a mark of some sort. Perhaps Van's could buy better bending machines, but then our parts (and planes) would end up costing a lot more. Just buff it out if necessary and move on. Good luck.

Being that I can't see it or feel it myself, it looks normal. Mine are the same way. If I remember right, a lot of parts were the same way. Also, I think a lot of it ended up being glue/melted plastic. I think I got rid of most of it by rubbing it with my finger.

Press brake did that

Most parts like that are bent in a press brake. The lines are from the V that the parts is pressed into to make the bend. I'm sure the edges of the V and the press have a nice radius on them to prevent any scarring that will result in stress risers. The damaged film seems to be the norm, so the slightly cut blue film isn't a dead give away for a problem. On all my parts so far the damage is usually limited to the plastic film. Although on your part they are a tad deeper than normal. I seem to remember reading somthing about Van's getting a new CNC press brake. I wonder if yours could a part that was bent on new tooling. HMMMM.

Try dressing it out with a roll-lock scotchbrite disc in a 90 degree die grinder or drill.

Back