What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Forgot to match drill 6 holes in HS

dbaflyer

Well Known Member
So I'm dimpling my skin and notice the male end of the dimple die will not go through the hole. Pause.. I guess I forgot to match drill them. 5 on the left HS far left side on the outer rib on the bottom. Every other hole. There is 1 hole on the right side of the left HS on the top on the outer rib. Do I need to reassemble the HS to match drill or given only 6 holes and Van's great pre-punched kits just drill them in place?

I also wondered about the 8 holes on either side of the HS for the fiberglass tips. I thought I should dimple those holes now, but since there was nothing to match drill them to the dimple die will not fit those either. Do I just drill them #40 now and dimple or wait until the tips get installed?

So one more booboo during dimpling the HS skins. On the bottom at least. On the second blow of the c-frame the skin moved slightly. So the hole is a bit larger than it should be. oblong I guess. An AD3 rivet fits the hole pretty good, but I'm not sure about how it would look once bucked since there is alot of whole on the back side for the shop side of the rivet to fill. Do I just drill to #30 and put in an AD4? And if I do that do I need to worry about match drilling the hole to the rib or spar?

1-go ahead and size the 6 holes (on both the rib and the skin--12 total) you forgot to mis-match with a #40 and then dimple. The pre-punch is so precise that they will line up just fine.

2-haven't don't the fiberglass parts on mine yet, but if I'm visualizing this correctly, there's no reason you have to do it now. In other words, you'll be able to dimple them later even with all the aluminum pieces put together, right? So I think I would wait.

3-hard to tell on the oblong dimple. Maybe an 'oops rivet' will work? Maybe you'll have to go to an 1/8" rivet--don't know. If you do go with a larger rivet, I'd wait until it's riveted together, then address it. Deburring is a concern, but not much of one in this case.

I'm sure others smarter than I will chime in...just one person's perspective.

-Jim

I agree with Jim on the first point (did not understand the second issue).

On the last number, I will use a slightly longer AN426 rivet with the hand squeezer. Then, I will fill the remaining part of the hole, if any, with SuperFil (see Aircraft Spruce catalog) or let the painter do this job.

I had the same problem (my colleague made the dimple when parts were not aligned and made 2 holes, one just beside the other) and solved it as said.

Camillo

Back