What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Forgot the C702 braces!

Paul 5r4

Well Known Member
I was ready to begin placing the canopy and it seemed that one could not work on getting the canopy to fit with clecos sticking out of the C-702 skin everywhere. So I've riveted the C-702 skin on. The canopy is getting pretty close to being ready for it's final intallation to the frame, then... I looked at some pics on here tonight and noted I do not have the brace under the skin installed yet!!! I've looked and can not find anyplace in my manual/plans where it says to do this. I did receive them form vans with the kit. Never thought about it. Seems my choices are to remove the C-702 skin... UGH!!! or maybe use some nutplates to install them to that forward frame. I should still be able to get it riveted to the 702 skin as the canopy is not permanently in place yet. Is it written someplace to install these braces and I've missed it. It doesn't even show them on my blueprints. Seems Vans would have put a note in the appropriate place in the manual so this step would not be missed. Any thought on my fix? Thanks in advance.

1-28-10 10:30 pm. Update to my above post. I've looked and looked and can find NOTHING about adding these braces. The pic by billgill below is what I'm talking about. Anyway... it looks like this is pretty much not at issue as there are thankfully pop rivets involved. Only real question I have now is does it get riveted on before or after the canopy is permanently installed? Seems it would be before so you can get to the rivets attached to the 702 skin. Thanks to all!

Last edited:
I'm close to where you are in the build, and no, I didn't see it in the instructions either. I've read on here that it's not in the instructions at all.

Canopy reinforcement brace

If you are referring to the canopy reinforcement brace -- then yes, the canopy skin should be riveted in place before installing the brace.

9jj5au.jpg
[/IMG]

Bill
RV-7 N151WP
530 hours

Got It!

Ok Guys, I think I finally got this thing figured out. Clear case of, as my Dad use to say, I did not have my thinking cap on. Thanks again.

Back