What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Forest of tabs

DJR

It seems many are using a "Forest of tabs" for a grounding solution. At first I though this was a great way to position all of my grounds, but now that I look at it I have a few concerns.
I have never used such a block, but it seems that it would not be a good way to firmly secure the wires to the tabs. The female tab just slides over the male end? How is this a good secure connection? Is there not a possibility of the connector moving or vibrating loose or even comming off of the tab?
Any thoughts are appreciated.

Dana

Dana,

No worries about the grounds becoming un-attached from the "Forest of Tabs". As long as you're using good quality fasteners (get them from Stein or some other reputable place - avoid Radio Shack, you'll have a great connection that won't come loose.

I have all of my grounds going to the "Forest of Tabs" and I can tell you from experience that you have to really PULL to get a wire free from the tab!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep if you use a good aviation quality connector, they will never come off by themselves. Actually when you need them to come off it is a pretty good chore...which is a good thing.

Yep if you use a good aviation quality connector, they will never come off by themselves. Actually when you need them to come off it is a pretty good chore...which is a good thing.

Yep what Brantel said. I used em for almost everything, not just grounds. Makes upgrades and trouble shooting a lot easier.
100_0073_Small.jpg

100_0835_Small.jpg

100_0075_Small.jpg

Ditto what has been said above. You MUST use high quality connectors though.

The tabs and connectors have little dimples and small tabs that keep them from coming off. As Brantel said, it actually takes a lot of effort to disconnect them. Make sure you pull on the connector and not the wire when you do.

2 piece

Thanks guys for your input regarding the Forest of tabs.
Has anyone used the 2 piece version. I believe you would use this type for the firewall.
This seems like a great way to prevent having to pass a bunch of wires thru the firewall.
B & C has these.

http://www.bandc.biz/groundblock48-tab.aspx

Thanks

Last edited:
Really look at your FWF wiring requirements. Typically not many discrete grounds are needed out there.

I used a forest of tabs on both sides of the firewall. The engine side used about six or so, the instrument side was huge, the B & C 48 tab. Used most of them.

I ran the ground cable from the battery to a bolt right next to the starter. A number 6 cable from a bolt on the back of the engine goes to a brass bolt that mounts both the firewall forward and rear tab sets. Since I have a -6A there is also a small set of tabs behind the main spar to pick up the few things that are there. I recall only having about 2 "local" grounds, every other circuit grounds at one of the forests.

Bunch more wire, but you don't have the issue of grounds.

Bruce Patton
-6A fling since 99

Last edited:
Back