What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Foreflight vs. FlyGarmin

Bavafa

Well Known Member
I was looking for feedback of those who have used both system and some pros and cons.
I used to use Foreflight many years ago and liked it very much. When I went to full Garmin avionics, I switched to Flygarmin and now considering going back.
Would I lose any interoperability by going to Foreflight?

Any feedbacks would be appreciate it.

I was looking for feedback of those who have used both system and some pros and cons.
I used to use Foreflight many years ago and liked it very much. When I went to full Garmin avionics, I switched to Flygarmin and now considering going back.

Do you mean Garmin Pilot? I've used both and prefer Garmin Pilot due to its simplicity and integration with the avionics with a common look and feel.

If I was flying Dynon avionics I would probably use ForeFlight.

yes, I mean Garmin Pilot.

It looks like I can display traffic and weather only if I have Stratus and not getting those if the source is Garmin ADSB.

I recently chose Garmin Pilot by default. I have an Android phone and an Android tablet. I don't own any Apple devices. Foreflight is Apple only. Garmin Pilot has apps for both Apple and Android.

I would have probably just used the free WingX subscription that is offered to current CFI's but the GDL-39R ADS traffic and weather Bluetooth link will only work with Garmin Pilot or Foreflight.

I have a Garmin GTN650xi networked with my 2x Dynon HDX screens through Dynon’s ARINC module. I connect my phone’s and IPad’s Foreflight to the GTN wirelessly through a Garmin Flight Stream 510 WiFi/Bluetooth card. I squirt IFR flight plans directly from my iPad Foreflight to the GTN. If I change the routing on either machine, the other immediately asks if I want to update to match.
I say Stick with your Foreflight.

I have a Garmin avionics suite (650, G3x, etc.) and have no problems displaying traffic and weather received from ADSB. I also have weather and traffic displayed on my Ipad with Foreflight. I use Foreflight on the Ipad to make any flight plan changes which are communicated to the panel by blue tooth. :cool:

I used to use Garmin Pilot on my Ipad when that was the only way to communicate with the Garmin 430 in my Archer through Garmin Flightstream. I ran the low-cost version of Foreflight at the same time. As soon as Garmin began allowing Foreflight to communicate with their avionics, I dropped Garmin Pilot and never looked back.

Last edited:
I have a Garmin avionics suite (650, G3x, etc.) and have no problems displaying traffic and weather received from ADSB. I also have weather and traffic displayed on my Ipad with Foreflight. I use Foreflight on the Ipad to make any flight plan changes which are communicated to the panel by blue tooth. :cool:
Can you confirm that you can display traffic and weather that is sourced from your Garmin TXPDR? According to Foreflight, this is not possible.

I know that we can send and receive flight plans to/from 650 but I am hoping I can display traffic as well.

My RV6 has a Garmin G3X Touch panel with G5 standby, Garmin autopilot, etc. I used to use Garmin Pilot on the iPad, but because we use Foreflight at work, I switched to that application and haven't really missed Pilot at all. I also have Jepp charts on Foreflight, as well as my entire pilot logbook.

You'll probably be fine with either one -- they're both excellent applications -- but I feel like Foreflight has far more features and is being rapidly improved by the developer, whereas Pilot is just one of hundreds of products made by Garmin.

--Ron

... I feel like Foreflight has far more features and is being rapidly improved by the developer, whereas Pilot is just one of hundreds of products made by Garmin...
Foreflight is owned by Jeppesen which is owned by Boeing. They're not exactly the little guy :)

Yup. My only ADSB source for the panel and Foreflight on my Ipad is the Garmin 45R.

While true, Garmin calls this box a transponder, it really is a transponder and a dual frequency adsb-in receiver packaged together.

Or you could use FltPlanGo which is also owned by Garmin but is free like WingX

https://flttrack.fltplan.com/FltPlanInfo/FltPlan_Go-Android-iPad_Info.html

I am using FltPlanGo mostly on Samsung S2 tablet.

I have WingX. As I understand it, it's free to flight instructors. I'm a flight instructor so I got it messed with it and gravitated back to the flight plan go.

I might eventually go to the dark side and get 4 flight and ipad Mini. But I like the price of Fltplan go, free.

I have both. I mostly use Foreflight. I have the G3x system. On a flight I have my phone on garmin pilot and ipad on Foreflight. Im sure I could get by with either but I liked to watch the 3d flights into airports before I actually did the flight.

I would probably switch to garmin pilot but I like being able to look at traffic anytime - not just when connected to my system. I have never planned out a flight at home and uploaded it to my G3x. I should but havent yet.

Im sure I could be happy with either but for now, I will keep them both. And I will try to connect through both with a flight plan and see if that changes my mind.

Yup. My only ADSB source for the panel and Foreflight on my Ipad is the Garmin 45R.

Ironic, here is an e-mail message I got from Foreflight tech support to my question "The GTX 45R will not pair directly with ForeFlight"

I will take the IPAD to the plane and see if I can get some traffic/weather on it. That would confirm it.

Thanks to all for your feedbacks.

Have you seen the pretty extensive side by side real world comparison series of videos put out on this topic? Here’s a link to the first in the series.

https://youtu.be/83-YjddDEtM

Ironic, here is an e-mail message I got from Foreflight tech support to my question "The GTX 45R will not pair directly with ForeFlight"

I will take the IPAD to the plane and see if I can get some traffic/weather on it. That would confirm it.

Thanks to all for your feedbacks.

I wonder if the Ipad gets the 45R data through the G3x? Transferring flight plan changes to the 650 from the Ipad go through the G3x connection. The Ipad definitely “pairs” with the 45R by bluetooth as shown on the Ipad bluetooth screen, along with the G3x.

I initially ran SkyDemon on iPad and the moment that Garmin supported the SkyEcho2 i moved to Garmin Pilot which I find a much better tool and it talks to my G3X Touch. A friend who flys my aircraft used to use ForeFlight and did the same and doesn't regret it..

I wonder if the Ipad gets the 45R data through the G3x? Transferring flight plan changes to the 650 from the Ipad go through the G3x connection. The Ipad definitely “pairs” with the 45R by bluetooth as shown on the Ipad bluetooth screen, along with the G3x.

I was thinking the same thing.

Last edited:
Both apps are great. I have been using Garmin pilot for years. One reason I stay with that is I have the flight stream card in my GTN650 and the only way to update the nav data is with the Garmin pilot app.

But the GDL 52 does.

Yes, the GDL 52 is another device that can provide weather data to a tablet via Bluetooth, as can the GTX 45R. But my point was that a Bluetooth connection to a GDU display will not by itself provide a tablet with weather data.

ForeFlight all day long for me. Like GMC said, you can get a discount if you join NAFI or SAFE, etc. Becomes worth it if you have the second or third tier.

I recommend ForeFlight to my students. Buuuut I don't let them use it on their first couple cross countries. :D It can definitely be a bit overwhelming with all of its features, but then again, so are our modern avionics; you just have to learn it.

I can also confirm ForeFlight plays very very nice with the Dynon stuff.

Try both if you can, as well as other Apps, some free or less expensive. If you own an iPhone or iPad you can get a limited time Foreflight trial. Foreflight and Garmin Pilot are Approx the same price.

Decide what you want to do with an EFB and what device/hardware you want to use: iOS or Android. Most Apps work on both.

Foreflight is iOS only. I attended two Foreflight seminars at Oshkosh. I did not care for manual of use, based on my experience with other EFB's, Electronic Flight Bags. However to each their own. Many of my students have Foreflight. They ask me to sign off their electronic log book in Foreflight. Without Foreflight I can not do that remotely. However I can sign their dual instruction off on their device running Foreflight if they set me up to do so. I still sign off their paper log book.

Apple makes a nice product albeit more expensive in general vs Android. If you do get an iPad most pilots like the Mini size wise, fits better in cockpit. Foreflight only works on iPad Mini 4, 5, 6. BE SURE to get one with a Min of 128GB of memory and Cellular. Why? Cellular iPads have GPS the others do not. You need internal GPS. You do not need a cellular plan. If I can not connect my Tablet on the ground, I use my cell phone as a hot spot. Personally I am an Android and PC guy.

Many flight schools use Garmin Pilot, working on both iOS and Android. They have the ability to upload flight plans to Garmin panel mounted GPS so equip with Flight Stream 210 or 510, using either BT or WiFi. It does more than just upload flight plans, but never used it. Research this if it's something you desire. Seems pretty cool but you will pay for it. Again best to get some demos or personal input from other pilots.

Alternative EFBs: FlyQ vs WingX vs FltPlanGo. I am running the latter on Samsung S2 Tablet. However for "work" I have run it on a newer model iPad. App faster than my older Samsung Tablet. WingX is free to CFI's. I tried it and it was OK but did not give it a fair shake, commit to learning it. I will try WingX again just for my own education.

WingX is only $75/Yr. Free for CFI's I think as I said, got a year trial but did not use it. That was on me.

FlyQ I think is free. Never used FlyQ but may load it up and try it.

FltPlanGo is still free (although Garmin bought it). Does everything that I need and use, which includes IFR flights, approaches and flight plans. I can flight plan, get full brief, weather, NOTAMS, Nav/Approach charts, Airport data, flight log (with all data course/mag heading/ground speed/fuel/W&B), file an IFR flight plan from my couch. I can see weather and ADS-B traffic in flight with a remote ADS-B/GPS receiver. One cool thing is Inst Approach Procedures (IAP) plates have geo sync showing aircraft on the approach plate. You only get that on the premium Foreflight subscription ($220).

Keep in mind there is a lot of proprietary stuff going on. Some companies that make hardware or Apps do not work with 3rd parties. For example portable ADS-B units you mount (temporarily with suction cups) to windows or on glareshield, provide ADS-B in-traffic and Weather (NEXTRAD) in flight to your App via Wifi or BT. Not all EFB Apps/Hardware are compatible with all ADS-B/GPS receivers. For example Sentry ADS-B only works with Foreflight.

Garmin ADS-B receivers only work with Garmin and so on. I have a Stratux ADS-B which is open source. It works great with my Free EFB App. However I can not use the other ADS-B receivers and vise verse. I wish they would make it universal for any ADS-B to work with any EFB App, but alas. Having ADS-B traffic in and inflight weather is a HUGE safety benefit.

Figure out how and why you are using it and what you want to pay. I think EFB is well worth it. You almost must have it, although all data is available free on 1 800 WX Brief and Gov.Org (charts). You may want to try the free or low cost EFB Apps and hardware you might already own first. Play with it and figure it out. Even a local day VFR pilot can get something out of an EFB App, but on the other hand you can spend a lot of money on it. Kind of a waste if you don't use it to the full extent.

I highly recommend a MOUNT so the iPad or tablet is not floating around on your lap, and you don't have to look down to see it. This takes your eyes from instruments and looking outside. Also in IMC conditions moving head down and up can cause spatial disorientation. So a mount off the side of cockpit, Inst Panel, Side or Yoke (in planes with yokes). Loose gear is a pet peeve for me. Also tablets can get HOT and need a charging cable. So cooling and external power may be part of the plan. Short flights internal battery is fine. I really do like having ADS-B "in" traffic on the EFB map. It is NOT a substitute for looking outside for traffic however.

Last edited:
I've never owned an iPad personally, but used one for a short time a long time ago at work. We ditched them because they were cumbersome with the s/w we were using, so say the least.

However, after quite a bit of research and watching a number of comparison videos between Foreflight and Garmin Pilot on YouTube, I jumped in, bought an iPad Mini 6 and Foreflight, and "haven't looked back".

I don't have a lot to compare the two to, but I am really liking the iPad and Foreflight. And that is from a solid Android user. I'm sure there are various advantage with either of them, and I'm not even close to getting an iPhone, but I'm liking the set-up I have a lot on the iPad. Not to mention the customer service (technical help) from Foreflight has been more than impressive.

Both apps are great. I have been using Garmin pilot for years. One reason I stay with that is I have the flight stream card in my GTN650 and the only way to update the nav data is with the Garmin pilot app.

The Flightstream510 is a Multimedia Card and can be updated with a Multimedia Card USB Adapter. Garmin recommends Garmin P/N 013-00203-03.
Some computers may have the software to allow an MMC to be read in an SD slot as I understand.
Although physically interchangeable, an MMC and an SD are different.

Price too

Look at the prices of the pro versions for both.
Boeing got very cheeky, with a huge price increase recently.
The pro version of Pilot was, for me, about half that of foreflight’s price.
I’m all Garmin anyway, but that big foreflight price increase rubbed me the wrong way.

One thing I do miss, is seeing adsb data while at home, online. Pilot doesn’t do this, foreflight does.

Last edited:
The pro version of Pilot was for me, about half that of foreflight’s price.
I’m all Garmin anyway, but that big foreflight price increase rubbed me the wrong way.

A 20% price increase seems like a lot.. until you realize that it was their first price increase in 5 years. 4% per year seems a lot more reasonable.

Having never used either product in the past, I went with Garmin Pilot because my avionics are all Garmin. That said, I only really use it for pre-flight planning, and am not sure either are worth the cost for that small use case. Probably won't renew when my subscription dies next month. Might try one of the cheaper options.

I remember when you used to pay for software once and you had it forever.

The pro version of Pilot was, for me, about half that of foreflight’s price.

One thing I do miss, is seeing adsb data while at home, online. Pilot doesn’t do this, foreflight does.

https://globe.adsbexchange.com/

Back