What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

For you Subaru guys..........

CNEJR

Well Known Member
I was watching Bud Warren's new drive for Subaru's on the test stand today. It is absolutely beautiful (CNC machined, does not look like the prototype). Has it's own integrated oil pump, same clutch standard, and is capable of using any prop govenor. He had been running it with a 72" Hartzell all day long on the stand. I walked over and put my hand on the PSRU's oil filter, you could hold your hand on it with no discomfort.

It bolts right up to a Subaru with the proper spacers, also will bolt right up to the Egg setup. I see this as a real plus. Watching Bud's operation over the years, I don't think he has ever had a failure on one of his drives. The clutch & hydralic govenor, plus the fact that it is a straight bolt up would make it pretty attractive if you owned a Subie.

He has already sold four, I think he has a special on these for the time being. "Not my hog and not my corn", but it was very impressive.

Thanks Chuck.....

....do you know if he has some sort of damping between the engine and the gearbox? Something to absorb TV pulses?

Thanks,

It has a centrifugal clutch between the engine & gearbox. I am no engineer, but have always felt the clutch plate acted as a dampener. Dan or Ken on the forum could probably speak to this issue better. The small drive uses the same clutch idea as his bigger model. Clutch locks up at about 1k rpm, when the engine stops, prop free wheels like the big drive.

Did Gipson ever get his -10 flying again? I haven't seen him on these forums but did see him briefly on the Matronics list a couple of weeks ago. I've been watching to see if he was flying again since the Hard landing wiped out his prop and gear.

Yes, Bill's 10 is now painted and in the air. Seems to be okay from what I have heard. I think they have fixed the "overheat" issue. I think he plan's on flying it to SNF.

OT: Back in the air

N730WL flew for the first time since July's incident on March 3. I've made two separate flights orbiting the airport and all seems to be OK. Felt like first flight all over again. :eek:

The Geareddrives LS1 ran perfectly. Need to adjust baseline on the new MT prop, but other than that, all systems are go. Was out of town on vacation last week and am anxious to get back in the air. Today is a beautiful day in Houston. Think I'll go up.

Don't want to high-jack this thread. Will share on a new thread when ready.

All the good luck ......

to you Bill.

I think this new smaller drive for Subaru's with it's proven clutch & hydralic govenor is really going to make the difference for those that have chosen the Subbie route. Opens up the use of more "standard" prop's. I have never like the idea of electric props, but what do I know? "Sometimes I don't know enough to know, I don't know." I only report what I see, but this is really looking good.

In full disclosure, I have an O360 with a Hartzell on my 6 and am very happy.

Bill,
I've sent you a PM. Congrats on getting back in the air. I've been watching out to see when you flew again. Dan

N730WL flew for the first time since July's incident on March 3. I've made two separate flights orbiting the airport and all seems to be OK. Felt like first flight all over again. :eek:

The Geareddrives LS1 ran perfectly. Need to adjust baseline on the new MT prop, but other than that, all systems are go. Was out of town on vacation last week and am anxious to get back in the air. Today is a beautiful day in Houston. Think I'll go up.

Don't want to high-jack this thread. Will share on a new thread when ready.

Back