What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

? for those that have flown both -9 and -9A

N674P

Well Known Member
I'm about to order the fuselage, but have a real dilemma... the "sensible" thing to do is order a -9A. What I really want to do is order a -9.

My taildragger experience consists of maybe 50-60 takeoffs and landings in 65hp & 85hp Champs, all on grass and all 3 point landings. 30 years ago. Plus I'm a 200 hour (ex)pilot that hasn't flown in over 20 years.

Given that I will get trained all over again to fly before I fly an RV, and if I can convince my wife to learn to fly she too will be low time, am I nuts to want a taildragger?

From past threads read I expect the responses will be "no problem!", but I want to open it up again just in case somebody has a different take. And just how big of a difference is there in insurance rates after you have 50 or 100 hours in TD's?

If it makes a difference, I expect to use O-320, fixed pitch cruise prop, and grass home airstrip.

I am building a 9A and wrestled with the same question but finally decided on a 9A. For me the deciding factor was not wanting to leave on a three or four hour flight only to worry about the landing when I got where I was going. I have about 80 landings in a Champ this year and a total of 500 hours in a 172. This is supposed to be fun and I didn't want to dread the wind conditions at my destination. If I were younger (I'm 55) it might be a different story though. I absolutely love flying the Champ and am completely comfortable as log as the crosswinds don't get over 10 Kts. One other factor for me was I think there will be more buyers looking for a 9A if I decided to sell mine. As things are turning out a medical condition is going to force the sale sooner than later for me.

build what you want

N674P said:
I'm about to order the fuselage, but have a real dilemma... the "sensible" thing to do is order a -9A. What I really want to do is order a -9.

"Sensible" goes right out the window if you fly for fun and are building an airplane. We do this because we love to do it, not because it is practical. If you want to be sensible, switch hobbies. Lots of folks have less expensive ways to occupy their spare time.

I say build what you want. If you don't you'll probably find yourself wanting to build again.

Last edited:
N674P said:
Order the -9!

You will get so good with x-wind landings you will soon wonder what all the BS was about. Besides, it is lighter than the A's, simpler to build, and very unique.

In other words, build the plane you want, not the the plane others want you to build.

9's are piece of cake in cross winds. 9's are lighter and have more room in the cabin for your legs.

But remember build what you want not what others say you should build.(build a 9 you will not regret it)

Build what you really want!

You answered your own dilemma:

N674P said:
What I really want to do is order a -9.

Order what you really want. If you don't, you'll always wish you had.
Now, that said, I'm building the -9A. (Less stress, cheaper insurance).

Thanks all for your responses.
Order what you really want. If you don't, you'll always wish you had.
That's what I've been thinking!
I say build what you want. If you don't you'll probably find yourself wanting to build again.
I want to build again regardless...
A -9 is what I want, so a -9 is what I'll get. A little lighter, a little faster, and a little cheaper (until insurance :eek: ). Seeing a picture of Bill's cockpit without the gear towers in it - wow! You could throw a party in there! (albeit a very small party :p ) What's not to like?
As for resale, I (or my wife) will have to worry about that if and when the time comes...

I just completed a trip from Phoenix to Fun & Sun with overnights to see friends and family in Anniston AL, Austin and San Antonio TX. I encountered head winds, tail winds and cross winds on landings and at no time did I ever wish I was flying a 9A.
What a great airplane!
If I was flying from a grass strip I definitely would choose a 9!
My TD time when I stated flying my 9 was about 350 hours. Total time on my -9 is just over 205 hours. Insurance runs about $1,550 a year for $65,000 hull.
What ever you choose you will love it.

Last edited:
Buy the Nine. I learned to fly in a 7AC along time ago, if you can land a Champ in a cross wind a RV is a piece of cake. I have owned both a RV-6 and a Nine. Both are a excellant cross wind airplanes and they are alot easier to land than a Champ. I usually always wheel land the RVs in a cross wind and taxi with the tail up just like I do in my Cub for better visiblity. However I would not advise a low time pilotto do this. I find that taking off in a cross
wind is more challenging than landing. I plan to build a twelve and my biggest regret about it is a nose wheel. I am at the chronilogical age than I have to consider a LSA or I wouldn't even consider it.
Gerry Chancey

Go with your heart

I built a 9A, but transitioned in a 7. The 9 should be easier to land than the 7 due to the lower speed. I can say that the ground handling on the 7 was the best of any tailwheel plane I have ever flown. That would include Champs, a Cub, and Cessna 170/180/185's. The 9 would be a great choice!

Bob Kelly

The struggle

N674P said:

Like you, I too went with the struggle. I'm building my wings and I am also going to build it as a -9. This was the one decision that I pondered over the longest. My biggest concern was forward visibility - I've sat in an RV-9 and that's no longer a factor.

BTW - I've never flown a tail dragger.

N674P said:

I spent $1500 converting the 9A I built to a 9. So I don't know how sensible it is building a 9A when you want a 9.

I flew around 250 hours in the 9A before converting to a 9. Build a 9 and enjoy flying.

Cam

Back