What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Food and Fuel near Bowling Green or Clarksville KY?

MNForrest

Well Known Member
Panning a cross country with the family from Minneapolis to West Palm Beach, FL. I need a good place to stop for lunch along the way (KANE-F45). First leg ends near Bowling Green or so. Any suggestions? Must be a reasonably quick turn, so food should be on the airport or very close by. Thanks!

I used M91 as a fuel stop once.. but you'll have to get a ride about 3 miles to town (if I remember correct) for a fairly good selection of food. I chose the mexican restaurant.

I base a helicopter out of Bowling Green (KBWG) for several weeks during the Summer. They have a great staff there on a 24 hr. schedule. They have a shuttle van instead of a courtesy car so check with Will or Bob at the front desk for a ride to several choices of restaurants very close to the airport which is located in the middle of town so it's convenient. I usually go to Baker Brothers deli when I'm in a hurry. Fuel prices are a little higher than the smaller surrounding airports but if convenience is what you're looking for, it's a good stop.

A little to the west, M25, Mayfield KY.
Fuel, courtesy cars, overnight hangar.
Town about 3 miles from airport.
My homebase. Check website, flytomayfield.com
RHHIII

M91 was my base airport when I lived just north of Nashville. I moved 2 years ago to Georgia, so consider this slightly old...

M91 (Springfield) offered ehtanol-free MoGas on field. No resturants nearby and there wasn't a loaner car or anything else available to get you into town. It does have an excellent localizer approach with a long runway if the weather is not good, but sitting up a little higher than the airports south of it (KJWN for example) means that the clouds take a little longer to lift if there isn't wind.

Outlaw field in Clarksville (KCKV) has an on-field resturant (diner) that is sometimes open, sometimes bankrupt and closed. Call the FBO to see what their status is. Keep clear of the west side of the field as that is restricted airspace for the Army.

None of the Kentucky State Parks have fuel that I'm aware of, but they do have good food. Rough River State Park's lodge is close to the runway, so that's an option if you want a resturant menu.

Back