What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Folks Who Have Received their FwFd Kits

todehnal

Well Known Member
My firewall forward kit shipment has been delayed and I'm in a bind. We have reservations and need to head South. It will be necessary to have the kit delvered to my Son's house; two hundred miles from me. He plans to pick up the crate from the loading dock in his PU truck. He will need to unload the crate out doors at his house, and bring the pieces in seperately, through a standard 36" doorway, to be able to store it indoors for me, until we return.

My question is regarding the engine crate itself. I don't want him trying to get the engine out of it's crate. I remember reading about Marty, who had difficulty and wound up with stitches over it. So, how is the engine crate secured to the inside of the larger shipping crate? I need to guide my son in separating the two, to allow him, and a helper to carry the engine into the house for safe keeping. Hopefully, someone will remeber.

Thanks,

Tom

Unclear memory - but

Tom, I think it was bolted to the bottom. You have to remove the top of the engine crate once all the other things are removed, then unbolt the bottom of the engine crate from the larger crate, then you can re-assemble the engine crate. I think that is how it was. Maybe others can correct that if I am wrong.

John Bender

Thanks John. It helps just knowing that the lid of the engine box will have to be removed first.

Tom

Maybe it would be better just leaving it in the box and putting it in the garage? How long are you going to be gone?

Just trying to help.

We're early bird volunteers at Sun n Fun, meaning, we won't get home until mid April. I know I should've waited to order, but I didn't want to risk a sharp increase in price. I would rather that the kit be kept in a controlled environment, than in a cold, damp garage. I have no concerns about the parts, if my son can just get the engine crate out of the big shipping crate.

Tom

Best Picture of engine crate

RV-12Enginecrate100_1044.jpg

Hey Tom,

Went back and found this picture. If you look to the left, you will see the actual base, and the blocks on it that held the engine crate in place. You can see the top off of the engine crate to the right also. Hope this helps.

John Bender

Keep it sealed in the special plastic bag it comes wrapped in and you will be fine to leave it in the garage for a couple of months even though it is cold.

Marty, Your Blog Is Great!!

The photos in my blog show how the crate for the engine was attached to the larger shipping crate. There were cross members (2x4s) holding the engine crate in position.

http://martysrv12.blogspot.com/2009/08/engine-kit-arrived-today.html

Marty, I understand that the 2X2 cross members were holing the engine crate in position, within the larger shipping crate, Was the bottom of the engine crate bolted to the bottom of the larger shipping crate, or could you have lifter the engine crate out of the larger shipping crate, after removing the 2X2s?

Thanks, Tom

As I recall, the bottom of the engine crate was NOT screwed or bolted to the bottom of the shipping crate. The engine crate is quite heavy. You will need an engine lift/slings (or four helpers).

I unpacked my engine last week

Hi Tom, Here are a few notes that might help.
The 4x2s hold the engine crate down and prevent sideways movement.
The base of the engine crate is not screwed down to the big crate, but a cleat at each end is screwed down to the big crate and stop it moving.
I started to take the top off the engine crate, but soon discovered Vans had cut all the metal tabs around the bottom of the engine crate, so it was already free and just has to be lifted off, top attached to the sides.
The engine is not that heavy, including the plywood base of the crate. It was fairly easy to lift one end of the engine crate base and slip under one of the 2x4s. Same the other end. Then a friend and I easily lifted the engine out of the big crate and placed it on the top part of the engine crate, which we had placed beside the big crate.
In the engine crate is a bundle af accessories, taking up about a quarter of the length of the engine crate. They are held with a cardboard strap that is easily cut for removal.
Rod

Back