What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Folks in Central Indiana Currently Building

SteveinIndy

If there is anyone in central Indiana currently working on building an aircraft and would not mind a new aspiring builder helping them so that I could learn, please let me know. I am willing to trade my time and elbow grease in exchange for the chance to gain some valuable experience in the general skills of aircraft construction even though I am not specifically planning to build one of the RV series.

Feel free to send me a PM if you would consider such an arrangement. Thank you in advance.

Hey Steve,

Another option you might look at is hanging around the 'bum's club' at your local airport. Chances are you'll find a freelance A&P and/or someone that does owner assisted maintenance on their certified aircraft and ask them if you can help.

I started out helping some on the club aircraft I grew up in and everything once I got my own. After working on mine for a couple years I got to where I wasn't afraid to dive in, but still knew enough to call the A&P over when it didn't feel right. It gave me enough confidence that this summer I ended up doing needed maintenance on some milling equipment where the product tolerances are +/- .005". Felt kind of good to accomplish getting it back together & working!

You're free to come help work on mine, but 500 miles might be a little out of your range! :)

Another option you might look at is hanging around the 'bum's club' at your local airport. Chances are you'll find a freelance A&P and/or someone that does owner assisted maintenance on their certified aircraft and ask them if you can help.

The problem around here is that the airports don't really seem to have that active of "bum's clubs". The one closest to me seems to kind of get annoyed with anyone who doesn't arrive in something capable of holding at least 100 gallons of 100LL or Jet-A. I will ask around some more about the airports a little further out. Thank you for the advice.

EAA Anderson

Steve,

There is a pretty active EAA chapter at Anderson. I haven't been able to attend a meeting yet but they meet every month. I can find out more information for you if you'd like.

David

Try us at OVO, North Vernon, about 60 miles south east. High school kids building an RV-12, my 9A (already flying 4 years) and a 7A, flying for about 2 years. Very friendly, cheap gas, no hassles sort of place. Contact me after OSH.

Bob Kelly

The one closest to me seems to kind of get annoyed with anyone who doesn't arrive in something capable of holding at least 100 gallons of 100LL or Jet-A.

And people wonder why GA is dwindling! The bum's club where I grew up ranged from a Mitchel Wing up to a 310, and included an RV-8. Most were two or four seat $100 hamburger variety. Only thing with this group was the first lair didn't stand a chance! :)

Sounds like you might have some good options, have fun!

RV-12 at Eagle Creek

Hi Steve,
I'm building an RV-12 up at Eagle Creek on the northwest side of Indy. I'd welcome the help and company. Feel free to IM me if you'd like to stop by.
Ken

Also, the EAA chapter out at Hendricks County airport is great. Tons of experimentals at that airport.

Last edited:
Back