What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Folding Wings

NCGAPilot

For anyone who read this month's Sport Aviation saw the article about the Onex and it's folding wings. Here's what I want to know, how come Vans never looked into folding wings for the RV-12? It would def. make it easier to trailer the aircraft if it had folding wings instead of wings that require two people to remove and attach it.

I'm with you, NCGA. I think all GA airplanes should have folding wings. It would automatically double or triple the hangar space for everyone. Plus, the bringing it home factor.

The wing folding I like is that on the Grumman fighters - like the F4F Wildcat and F6F Hellcat. I'd post some pix if I knew how.

Bob Bogash
N737G
90% complete - and holding - and holding - and .......

I was just looking at my friends Onex today. It was the 2nd one flying. It took him 6 months to build. The wing attach point/design was very interesting. He also had to fabricate a wiring bundle with a bungy cord to enable it to expand/contract when folding the wings up. The original factory model did not have nav/strobe lights. He says it flies great and is very quick on the aileron roll.
BTW, the folding wings enabled him to have his 2nd plane in the hangar, a sonex.

A great idea

Folding wings, what a great idea. Imagine going down the crowd line with your wings unfolding. How cool is that?

The Seafire wing-fold would be the easiest, It was a manual fold. But the Grumman, wildcat, hellcat, avenger wing fold should work, but is more complex, (hydraulic I think)?

There would be weight and strength issues, but I'm sure they'd be overcome.

Onex / Folding Wings

I attended the Onex talk in the homebuilt hangar. The folding wings on that plane are very nice and clever. John did say that if you want to trailer it more than a couple of blocks that he says you have to take the wings off. For a couple of blocks they make a bar that locks the wings in the up position.
But for putting it in the hangar, I agree that the folding wings are a great idea. One advantage the Onex has is that they are very short wings compared to the -12.
The "paddle" linkage for ailerons was very elegant I thought.

Back