What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Folding e-bike with rear seat removed?

N729LS

Well Known Member
Patron
I often travel solo with a folding bike in the back of my RV-8, with the rear seat and stick removed, floor protectors cut from Harbor Freight anti-fatigue foam mats and a wooden bridge protecting the flaps cross tube. Required a bit of practice early on to be able to insert and extract the bike without banging anything (much), but there is plenty of space with the seat & stick removed.
Now I am interested in swapping for a folding e-bike to up my exploration radius from 3-4 miles up to 5-10 miles and allow for more elevation change. There are a number of small-wheel (14"), small-folded-package e-bikes out there ranging from the expensive Brompton ($4k+) and Carbo bikes (carbon-fiber frames, 30-35 lbs, ~$3K), to the cool-looking, high-tech magnesium-frame Fiido X at about 1/2 of that (but 44 lbs), to the plethora of Amazon-ish models from China, some under $500. Some are assist-only, others can be throttled.
Anyone have any experience they'd like to report, positive or negative, with e-bikes in the back of the -8?
Thanks,
Andy

I often travel solo with a folding bike in the back of my RV-8, with the rear seat and stick removed, floor protectors cut from Harbor Freight anti-fatigue foam mats and a wooden bridge protecting the flaps cross tube. Required a bit of practice early on to be able to insert and extract the bike without banging anything (much), but there is plenty of space with the seat & stick removed.
Now I am interested in swapping for a folding e-bike to up my exploration radius from 3-4 miles up to 5-10 miles and allow for more elevation change. There are a number of small-wheel (14"), small-folded-package e-bikes out there ranging from the expensive Brompton ($4k+) and Carbo bikes (carbon-fiber frames, 30-35 lbs, ~$3K), to the cool-looking, high-tech magnesium-frame Fiido X at about 1/2 of that (but 44 lbs), to the plethora of Amazon-ish models from China, some under $500. Some are assist-only, others can be throttled.
Anyone have any experience they'd like to report, positive or negative, with e-bikes in the back of the -8?
Thanks,
Andy
I am contemplating using an electric scooter with the rear seat cover removed. It is more compact than the folding bike, and is probably lighter too, and less costly. I often used public transit on my commute and I see a lot of people using them to travel from the commuter train stop to their offices.

Back