What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Foam used to secure brake lines?

Rivethead

Well Known Member
What kind of foam are people using to secure the brake lines that run through the tunnel between the petals and spar? Are you using foam? What other materials can be used?

Try doing a search, this has come up before.

From my web site:

Somewhere the instructions tell you to support the fuel line between the fuel selector valve and the fuel pump with foam. I had thought long and hard about this and came up with the idea of using self expanding insulation foam that comes in a can. I built a simple two piece mold that would fit around the fuel line and clamp together with two clecos. The height of the mold was the same as the inside height of the tunnel cover. Once in place I filled it with "Great Stuff" self expanding foam. I cut the top off with a hacksaw blade after the foam hardened and removed the mold. This process was repeated three times and the foam blocks seem to do a great job of holding the fuel line in place. After the first block (blob?) hardened, I took the top I cut off and dumped gas over the top of it to see if it would melt like Styrofoam. That was not the case, your mileage may very. Either way, I don't expect to have fuel in my floorboards.

instead of foam

I used 3/8 ID A/C insulation (the round tubing with the slit on one side):p from the local hardware store and it is not too snug

I never even gave it a thought to do a search because it sounded to me such a miniscule item to be covered here. Thanks for the link.

Over the years I've visited this board, I don't think there is a single item that is too small to have been asked.

There is truly a wealth of knowledge on this forum and the few dollars Doug asks to help defray his costs are well worth it.

I used two UHMW blocks

I cut them from a $2.99 kitchen cutting board. Split in two and drilled for a counter-sunk screw Two more holes for the lines.

Kent

rim packing box

I used Cleveland wheels packing box. Foam is not that dense but holds lines good and easy to work with.

brakelines.jpg

Back