What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Foam Trailing Edge Ribs

Husker'87

Has anyone used something other than ProSeal for securing the foam trailing edge ribs? I know that Van's is suggesting 3M double sided tape for tailing edge now, but it is just used to hold the pieces in place before riveting. I don't think it would hold up over time to secure the foam blocks in place. What else can I use? I don't want to buy ProSeal just for a couple of pieces and I don't know how long it will be before I get to my tanks.

Thanks,
John

Has anyone used something other than ProSeal for securing the foam trailing edge ribs? I know that Van's is suggesting 3M double sided tape for tailing edge now, but it is just used to hold the pieces in place before riveting. I don't think it would hold up over time to secure the foam blocks in place. What else can I use? I don't want to buy ProSeal just for a couple of pieces and I don't know how long it will be before I get to my tanks.

Thanks,
John

You can get it in an one ounce size from Van's and a two ounce size from ACS.

I'm not working on a -10 but have used windshield adhesive on a cowl....
it's about $20 a tube from a hardware store.

Glue..... It's strong stuff......(Elwood Blues)

Glenn Wilkinson

Proseal for me (smallest container). I suppose other things might work well, but it just seemed easy enough to use the proseal. Buying the small containers is a good thing to have around anyway for doing trailing edges and such..

3M 5200

I too was wondering about an alternative to Proseal for the foam ribs. Also wondered if I could adhere to a completely primed surface without the masking and scuffing. So here was my test:

I prepped a scrap of aluminum and primed as my usual method: scotch-brite, Prekote, AKZO primer sprayed lightly. Allowed 24 hrs. For cure.

Applied 3M 5200 (fast set) to a couple of scraps of rib foam, and to a couple of aluminum disks. Allowed to cure 24 hours.

I cannot budge the items off the aluminum, there is a slight flexibility. I would damage the foam before the adhesive failed. No difference between primed or unprimed surface.

My very unscientific conclusion is that 3M 5200 has an excellent bond to bare aluminum, foam rib material and AKZO primed aluminum. Advantages are that it is cheap, available at Home Depot/Lowes, one part, and I find it easy to apply. Also storing mine capped, sealed and zip-locked. Will see how long it lasts before starting to cure in the tube.

I will try it on the elevator/trim tab ribs and trailing edge, over primer. Seems very robust to me. If anyone has had a dissimilar experience I would be interested.

30becjn.jpg

Last edited:
Back