What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FlyLed Tail Light Mounting Bracket Cracks Fairing

raabs

Well Known Member
Be aware that the tail light mounting bracket (bottom of this flyled page https://flyleds.com/products/#!/Tail-Light-kit-model/p/48165109/category=0 ) four rivets that connect it to the fairing can crack the fairing. The bracket is very useful but riveting is apparently not going to work.

I installed it today and it cracked the fiberglass fairing at three of the 4 holes. I sanded off the gelcoat to confirm if it was just gelcoat and it is the fiberglass also - cracked all the way through. Sigh. Have to figure out an alternative to mount the bracket. Maybe proseal or Click Bond adhesive it on. The bracket is underneath the led light and is a newish accessory to make it easier to mount the tail light onto the fairing.

20240817_185953.jpg
20240817_190154.jpg

20240817_190209.jpg

I installed this on my -10 rudder build recently and one of the rivets did cause a crack and a bit of the outside fiberglass broke off. I didn't think it was a big deal -- I just mixed some micro beads and filled with epoxy. I also took the opportunity to blend the bracket in. After paint I think it will look like the bracket was built in.

There is nothing structural or critical about this piece from what I understand.

Itf the crack is all the way through then it may end up cracking your paint also. Micro balloons don't have much structural strength. Really need to fiberglass from the inside for the structural aspect to hold it together and then repair the visual crack on the outside.

Back