What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flyled single spotlight

rph142

Well Known Member
I’m taking weight weenie to a new level with my -7 build and I want to know if a single spotlight in each tip will be bright enough. I had a single 55w bulb in the right wing of my -3b and it was not ideal but it worked. I figure the flyled bulbs are much brighter and I’ll have one in each tip. I could potentially install two in each on my aftermarket HP tips but the additional weight with hardware would amount to 1lb. I weighed them on my gram scale. I’m also wondering how hot they get. AmI risking the thin plexi in my HP tips?

Single spots

I installed a Flyleds Single Spotlight in each wing leading edge on my -6A, with a Flyleds wig-wag controller. This is for day VFR use for recognition. Each light weighs just over 100g and heat was not an issue during testing. The plexi lense covers are 1/16" thick and do not get hot at all.
The Flyleds claimed output for each light is 1200 lumens, whereas a 55W halogen is about 1350 lumens, I believe. I think you may need 2 spotlights in each wing tip if the intention is to regularly fly at night and keep weight as low as possible.

Attachments

• 20230203_174249.jpg
    20230203_174249.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 80
One thing to consider is the beam angle of the lights. One vendor's spot may be 7 degrees, another may be 12 degrees. That makes a HUGE difference in effective range and beam width.

I’m taking weight weenie to a new level with my -7 build and I want to know if a single spotlight in each tip will be bright enough.

bright enough for taxi? yes
for landing on a dark runway? no
As a data point, in my 14 I installed the landing lights that Vans sells and an additional pair of single spotlights in wingtips to illuminate surroundings.

I have the opposite opinion. Assuming you’re not attempting to land on an unlit runway, all Bay area airports are well enough lit that you shouldn’t need any landing lights. OTOH, there are plenty of airports with poorly lit ramp or taxiways. If you can taxi safely at, say, Harris Ranch, your lights are okay.

Too bright not always good

I have been night blinded on the ground taxiing by airplanes with very bright lights not at proper landing light angle or the beam spread angle is excessive. If lights are very bright they need to be angled down to light up the runway in a landing AOA and glide slope. Please do not compensate with more light because you have them pointed forward. That is double bad being forward and brighter light when you taxi and turn toward someone else that is taxing.
By the way, I don’t see the need for bright light while taxing since you should not taxi at more than 15 kts, especially at night. Seeing 2000 ft down the taxiway is not needed when traveling 15 kts. After being night blinded I am big proponent of separate taxi and landing light settings. This is especially true on tail dragger models as landing and taxi attitudes are about the same.

Last edited:
I have the Fly LEDs single spot in each tip on my 8. I just did my first night flight last week, and it was fine. I'm at a poorly lit airport out in the sticks (KOBI Woodbine NJ).

I have mine aimed slightly down, and outboard. On short final, they illuminated the runway and markings, and in taxi I was able to make out the edges of the taxiway. Don't aim them straight ahead, you can't see over the nose anyway!

Thanks

I have the Fly LEDs single spot in each tip on my 8. I just did my first night flight last week, and it was fine. I'm at a poorly lit airport out in the sticks (KOBI Woodbine NJ).

I have mine aimed slightly down, and outboard. On short final, they illuminated the runway and markings, and in taxi I was able to make out the edges of the taxiway. Don't aim them straight ahead, you can't see over the nose anyway!

I just asked this question on another thread. Glad to hear you aimed them out a little bit. Seems that straight ahead the wing tip blocks the inside beam anyway. I think I will aim mine out a little so in a crab, I have light down the runway.

Back